Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

DevImg.net is a site I created several months ago for people to upload screenshots of games they're creating. It has a unique design, what do you think of it? I change the look of it often as I get more input -- I just recently did a redesign.
    ~CGameProgrammer( );

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well, it's pretty basic and a good start. I'd suggest making the colors a lot closer to each other in brightness, it's making someo f the colors (namely red and orange) reallly hard to read due to the background color. I'd say maybe try working on the top of it - come up with a cool logo, maybe make some new buttons etc. Cool idea for a site..
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Did you develop all the code yourself? Its very impressive.
    I'm developing a game with a team just now and maybe nearer the end of development we'll showcase it on your site but anyway...the design.

I think your site is really let down by the design beacuse all of the real genius lies in the concept and the code. It looks like you haven't really took the time to break down all the information on your site into very seperate, easy to navigate categories.
    I would take the time to sit down with a sheet or two of paper and write down all the categories of the information on your site then try to break them down into an easy to navigate hierarchy (like modules + functions in code!)
    Then submit the categories on this forum or redesign the site yourself around these categories, I would be happy to submit a design for you to base your site on free of charge if you gave me the categories.

One thing you can do quickly though is in your little forum bit at the side you should add some padding at the left and right sides along with a little for head space. This will really help its readability.
    www.appletv.co.uk

Member #
    I'll try to even out the difference in brightness. The site used to have white text on a black background but I keep changing the design, but this does cause some inconsistencies. Also you're right that the top area isn't very good -- I was having fun with depressed/raised buttons but I'll go with something more normal.

Yes I wrote all the code. In fact the site used to look really horrible since I concentrated on the code. But it's basically done so I've just been tinkering with the design.

Here are some old screenshots. These were taken in March; the site had actually looked even worse before then.

It would be great if you'd upload your project info/images to the site, it can always use new content.

But I don't understand what you mean by "categories". Categories of what? Do you mean organizing the images by game type? Currently they're only organized by date.

And I definitely agree about the comment padding. I'll do something about that soon.
    ~CGameProgrammer( );

Member #
    I'm not really happy enough with my project yet to let it leve the teams side but it will have some kind of alpha/beta in about 2months time so I'll definetly upload it.

What I mean about the categories is that you should divide all the information of the site so it could have a more manouverable infrastructure ie.

by detailing that you had:

News
    Forum postings
    Games profiles
    screen shots
    game info
    FAQ
    user profile
    submitted links

Then you could make up a hierarchy like so:

Main Page
    ----->News
    ----->Forum postings

Games Profiles
    ----->Individual game News
    ----->Game Info
    ------>screen shots
    ------>Edit this Profile
    ---------->Add game News
    ---------->Add Game Info
    ---------->Add screen shots

FAQ
    ------>Questions
    ---------->Ask a question

Submit a Game
    ------>Create Game Profile
    ---------->Picture submit
    ---------->Info Submit
    ---------->News Submit

From this information you would then be able to develop a more intuitive site design that takes the sites infratructure into consideration, leading to a much more user friendly site.

As I said, if you would Organise such information I would like to offer a free design for you to consider, as I am a web designer by trade...http://www.appletv.co.uk....and I think your site is a brilliant idea and has a remarkable resemblance to a popular site that me and a friend used to run called
    "Lair of the Bavarian Sandmonkey" if you've heard of it.
    www.appletv.co.uk

Member #
    Ah, you suggest making it much like other sites. Well that would make it more intuitive so I'll keep that in mind, but I don't to implement most of those categories -- for example, separate forums. I like having comments for each game appear right next to it, as I feel it encourages people to post their own comments. That's also why I put them to the right instead of below -- so you see them immediately. However I could create a page to list all comments, like a forum thread list... that's a good idea, do you think?

As for game news, I feel it's better to just have people edit their submissions when there's an update. More noticeable too. There are already many sites that have news, so I don't see much point in putting it in mine, plus it would distract from the screenshots. Also note this site is not a commercial site, I don't even have ads.

I also don't see a need in separating game info with screenshots, because when you view the screenshots of a game, you'll want to know stuff about it so you know what you're looking at. And you wouldn't want to read about a game without seeing screenshots of it. So why seperate them?

Basically what I'm saying is I am targetting the site at frequent users and not newcomers... I definitely don't want to intimidate anyone with bad design but I want to make things easily accessible for regulars. For example, comments are listed in reverse chronological order, so people who regularly read them can instantly see the newest instead of having to scroll down (I hate that). But I probably will at least try to make the existing stuff more intuitive. "New Post" should be renamed. I could call it "Submit a Game" or "Submit Screenshots"...

I've never heard of the site you mentioned, is it online? I'd like to see it. Also, on your Apple site, there's a mysterious contact number. Is it a UK phone number? At first I was thinking maybe it's an ICQ number but probably not.
    ~CGameProgrammer( );

Member #
    Yeah thats my UK mobile number.
    Yeah, Lair of the Bavarian Sandmonkey used to be a site for
    showcasing remakes of games.
    We were really popular when we took over a good Domain and I kind of regret giving it up But that was now like 5years ago!

I think you got me wrong with that last msg, I was only demonstarting how to jot down a hierarchy of your site categories not suggesting what your site should look like
    I totally agree with all your comments.
    www.appletv.co.uk

Member #
    Oh, I see what you meant. But this particular site can't really use something like that as far as I can tell. Nearly everyone will simply read stuff, which is simple and semi-intuitive (the text telling you to click a thumbnail should make things simple, but admittedly it is necessary to have it at the moment, which is bad), and some will post comments, which is also very accessible I think. Then there's other little things (posting a game is not "little" but not a lot of people upload anything, and I know they can since Flipcode's IOTD gets a submission every day (at least -- it's moderated, submissions are sent through e-mail, but they get enough to post one per day).

In other words the site is pretty specific in purpose. Can you think of a better way to organize it?
    ~CGameProgrammer( );

Remove Ads