Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Ok web peoples! The site has been up and running for almost a year now. We are getting some good response, but of course I know we can do better. I am not a graphic designer I just do the coding, I hired a graphic designer to design the home page.
    I want to change some things up on the home page and possible the entire site. We get a fair amount of daily hits, but some people complain that they don't know where to tune in and listen. How can I change that? Would people respond more to "Tune in here" or "Listen here". I am thinking of making the tune in buttons bigger. Does the average user know what the media icons are for? Should I change them to some thing else? Like a icon resembling a pair of headphones?
    Thank you in advance for your honest feed back!

Member #
    I don't like the current design. Its all grey and bleh. The navigation is uninspired. The content also doesn't stand out.

This is a radio site done correctly: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/

Its bright, easy to use and visually attractive. Yes you have different budgets but look at the difference. Hire a designer and I can almost guarantee that your traffic and listeners will double.

Member #
    I appreciate the time you both took to review the site, thank you! I took a look at the site you suggested Jason, I like the color scheme used in the site, but didn't find it easy to tune in, I think as a Internet radio site that is one of the most important aspects that should stand out.
    I emailed my graphic designer to take a look at our home page to see what he can recommend, as a result of your feed back, so again thank you.
    As for Netscape, should we even bother targeting that browser any more? I target what my audience uses, IE6, IE7, Firefox, Safari.
    After 10 years of support, on December 28th 2007, AOL announced that the Netscape browser will be taken off life from February 1st 2008. So should I really continue designing my site for Netscape as well? I just check my Google analytics page, and in the past month I had 2 users with Netscape log on. Not worth it.

Member #
    If your graphic artist is a DJ who is actively using the site (in other words a user and target customer) then listen to what they have to say.

Otherwise, do the unorthodox -- test with users ....find usability problems and opportunities for desirability design improvements.

Take color. If you're going to a site once (as in a graphic designer with no intention of ever 'eating their own dogfood') then you want bright colors. Look at the site like a working app you're going to be interacting with constantly, those bright colors might just get on your nerves.

What's the right color scheme for your word processor?

It is high time we understand Rich Internet Applications are different from a brightly colored cereal box you're targeting to five-year-olds.

Understanding your customer is a radical notion ...online. The web is an all too convenient firewall for keeping our comfortable assumptions intact -- and real use at arms' length. But give it a try. You may find some interesting interaction design insights.

Frankly, other than color scheme, I don't see this set up with any particular user in mind. I'd love to put this in front of the purported target user, video tape user interaction, then watch jaws drop (and not in a good way.)

Never, ever, think you're getting cheap interaction design expertise by hiring a graphic artist. Interface decoration is not interface design. Unless you're selling to graphic artists, don't for an instant confuse a graphic artist with a target customer.

Remove Ads