Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is the first time I have actually made a site (almost) from scratch. For this one I used a very basic 3 column css template that I found and have done the rest from scratch. I am not sure about the colour scheme or the nav bar on the left.

The text in the centre is just part of the template that I left on to give it a bit of substance as I work on it.

If you could give me some feedback on those 2 things or the site in general, that would be great!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi There, it's very had to comment if we don't know what kind of look / demographic you are trying to appeal to...

To me the colour is drab... but then if you want to attract drab people then hey it's perfect! :-)

Personally I dont do graphic design very oftern I work with people that do that... But when I am working on a cheapie and doing my own design I tend to capture the pallet from another site which is targetted at a similar audience... You can always modify it a little if you want to be a pureist... :-)

I would watch the alignment of your graphics... When you hover over the buttons the baseline of the text jumps this make the site look a little unprofessional...

Keep up the good work :-) -Hagen
    Hagen Rose: hagen(at)jxwd(dot)co(dot)uk
    JX Web Development, Bournemouth, Dorset...JXWD.co.uk

Member #
    I changed the nav menu from using bg images to css which improved things. I changed the colour scheme as well. And edited the banner.

If you could give me some suggestions that would be great!

Member #
    don't take offensive, but the color scheme is sort of blah and that photoshop filter you used on the House characters is horrible. try using some brighter colors and a normal photo of the cast for the banner. the layout seems nice and simple.

Member #
    The colors look like a rainy day, complete with lightning. I don't understand the yellow highlighting, but I like the blue highlight in the navigation. The grey is overwhelming, and kind of dark. The layout as a whole isn't centered. [minicode]body {margin:auto auto;}[/minicode]

Over all, I like the navigation and how the colors inverse. I think this is the strongest piece of your existing layout. P.S. there should be a blue line at the top the same way there is at the bottom.

The banner is too busy for me. I am okay with the caricatures, but I don't understand why they aren't straight photos because nothing else on the page reflects or reinforces that aesthetic. For the text, I suggest finding a nice font and don't do anything fancy in Photoshop.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Menu is much etter... The title house MD video is difficult to read, i guess needs more contrast... contrast can be achieved in texture, colour, brightness etc...

For me you really need to start by defining what your intended audience is and how you want the site to feel to them.... before you chose how you will brand the site...

Ignore your customers' tastes at your peril! :-) there is no point designing it for us!

hagen
    Hagen Rose: hagen(at)jxwd(dot)co(dot)uk
    JX Web Development, Bournemouth, Dorset...JXWD.co.uk

Member #
    Be prepared to come off with a "rainy day" drab design when you use that much dark/charcoal grey. Personally I would consider the show when designing this site, as those fans are the end users that will be visiting the site. House's personality is dark and twisted, but in the end, he helps those around him. I would keep the body grey color, but consider using white as the container bg and implement some of the blue that is used with the show (also found on their site, #0B6B8E to be exact).

Also, I would remove the filter and lower the opacity on the house characters, since you want your title to stand out more than anything.

Hope this helps.

Member #
    I think there is no need to apply filter to photo at top. Just showing the characters straight up without effects would be a lot better. And make it more colorful as well.
    2Shea Creative Graphic Design

Dull pencils make dull drawings

Member #
    Wow, thank you everyone for your feedback! I will definitely take into account everything you said. I am working on a new design for the banner and will post when its done

Thanks again for everyone's feedback!

Remove Ads