Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

gdc
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi all,
    Just found this forum on smashing magazine and decided to join. I own a site that is about a year old and would like for you to comment. The site is www.godaycare.com and it's a daycare listing site.

My bigest concern is navigation and content.

best...

Member #
    I think the design is excellent, very nice color choices, its good.

My quibble is with the home page. I can't help but feel that you could use it better. Why not have a search box on the home page? It just seems like I have to quick a few more times than I need to do to get to what I need to.

gdc
    Member #
    Valid point, Jason.

My line of thinking was this. The site has 5 or so key areas, namely, listings, reviews, articles, forum and childcare provider managed area. The intent of the home page was to act as a "summary" of the key areas of the site, from which the user would choose what to do.

Any thoughts?

BTW, thatks for your review

jj1
    Member #
    The site looks attractive but, somehow, it's not hitting me with what - I am guessing - is the primary function of the site: to find a daycare centre in my area. Assuming that this is the primary function, I would redesign the site so that:
    1 The home page is designed around finding daycare in my area
    2 Adding daycare and reviewing daycare sites are accessible from the home page but don't detract from the primary message - in my view, someone who wants to add their daycare to your directory will look at the navigation to see if they can.
    3 Forum and articles are - likewise - accessible from the home page but don't detract from the site's primary function.
    Visually, I like the look of the home page. I don't know whether you could keep the pitcure of the parents and the trees (or something similar) but redesign the home page so that you have this picture on the right and the map and town/city search box on the left?? That way, you might keep the visual appeal of the home page whilst also making it more functional?

gdc
    Member #
    Thanks for the review, jj1. Well, you are the second person who thinks that there are some issues with the home page. Perhaps I should rethink my strategy. You don't believe it's enough to have a nav "search" button?

I'm somewhat hesitant to make such drastic change for one reason. You are assuming that people arrive at he home page and do their search. The reality is that people enter the site through all kinds of pages. They would have to know that they need to click the home button to start searching. Also, in order to implement your proposal and keep the search page (as per my concerns), I'd have to replicate the search funcionality on both pages. Quite frankly I don't know which way is better. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm not sure if you had noticed, but the picture serves another purpose. If you roll over the clouds, you will see that the text changes. This is done both to introduce the visitor to the site and for the SEO.

Remove Ads