Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.7 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.7 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.7 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

a few things before I get pelted with the usual. 1, it's my personal webpage... 2, I like splash/intro pages... 3, I like dark layouts.

I just thought I'd try something new, it's been a while. I've sort of gone through a phase of layouts w/ stuff going on all over the place, I wanted to try something simple and clean looking again, while maintaining my dark image.

comments and critique are welcome.

xxjess

jj1
    Member #
    I like the look of the site. You've achieved your dark/clean/artistic look.
    That said, if website design is a main service, then this should be obvious from the navigation - not tucked away under Commission (which I would never think to look under).
    I would increase the size of the text used - I had to look closely in order to read it. Also, add an extra return after the second paragraph for consistency. A typo - wisconsin should have a capital W.

Member #
    I am not fond of scroll boxes and I think you could work a little on your typography. That aside it's not bad at all. I like your content and the mention of deadjournal gets you extra points

gdc
    Member #
    Site looks OK, however, you need to remove the "splash" page. It serves no purpose and you are forcing your visitor to click just to see your home page.

Is there a reson why you are making your divs scrolllable? Also, FYI, the styling on your scrollable divs only seems to work in IE, so your site looks less attractive in Firefox .

Member #
    With a personal site a splash page doesn't particularly matter, its down to preference and I see no harm in it. If it was a business site then obviously this would be a different matter.

Member #
    you can't alter scroll bars in mozilla firefox... if I could I would.

Quote Originally Posted by gdc
    Site looks OK, however, you need to remove the "splash" page. It serves no purpose and you are forcing your visitor to click just to see your home page.

Is there a reson why you are making your divs scrolllable? Also, FYI, the styling on your scrollable divs only seems to work in IE, so your site looks less attractive in Firefox .

Member #
    I've always had the thought of turning my div into an iframe and loading separate simple pages for each link within each page rather than using one large scrolled box... but I've been kind of lazy with the idea.

and when you say typography, other than cleaning up my grammar and positioning of things, what else do you mean?

--xxjess thanks for the help...

p.s. I <3 deadjournal

Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    I am not fond of scroll boxes and I think you could work a little on your typography. That aside it's not bad at all. I like your content and the mention of deadjournal gets you extra points

gdc
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by diejess
    you can't alter scroll bars in mozilla firefox... if I could I would.
    I'm fully aware of that. Yet another reason not to use scrollbars in divs, unless of course you have no choice. Why are you using them anyways? It's obviously your choice, just wondering.

Member #
    because at the moment it's simpler than creating iframes and pages.

Quote Originally Posted by gdc
    I'm fully aware of that. Yet another reason not to use scrollbars in divs, unless of course you have no choice. Why are you using them anyways? It's obviously your choice, just wondering.

Member #
    I think you're off to a good start - the splash page is fine for a web site like this - one major concern - the text size - it's too small (8pt?) - you could also increase the width of the page a little to 900 or 1000 px. Your scroll bar styles will only work in IE, so in Chrome, FF, etc your nice page design gets spoiled with an ugly looking gray scroll bar.

You could also change the way you have visitors view the work - rather than click on a thumbnail and open a new browser window - have the image appear within the page - it'll look cleaner. If you visit http://www.stewarthoffman.com/homepage4.html - and click on the thumbnails, you'll see what I mean. if you'd like the code that does that, please let me know.

I hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads