Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.3 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.7 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.7 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is basically a starter template for my portfolio, I haven't put too much work into it yet so I figure this is a good time to hear about what I'm doing wrong or could do better. So please let me know your opinions, and keep in mind this is 100% flash so far.

http://www.dustinbrandt.com/

Member #
    I like it, though I have a couple of suggestions.

Your name and title need to stand out more.

On your gallery page - i thought it was odd that the image I wanted to see vanished when I hovered my mouse over it, leaving a click-able white space - once clicked I saw the enlargement - but perhaps you should change the way the buttons behave.

Otherwise a good start.

Member #
    thanks for the response, and i agree about the photo gallery deal im planning on switching the layout, i just thought id try something new and see how it went over :P

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1999!!! :-D

Very retro.

jj1
    Member #
    I don't dislike the design although I feel that - somehow - it needs to make a bit more of an impression. I personally don't like Flash (on one of my computers I don't even have it loaded) - so I ignored that and just concentrated on the static design. A few odd comments:
    1 On the About page, make it read like a professional website designer rather than a CV - ie take out Name, Birthdate, Interests etc. The paragraphs are indented in an annoying way - in my view, indenting each paragraph is fine for letters but not so good for websites.
    2 It took me a while to realise that the current page has the longest navigation button - to start with, I thought you'd made the Home button longer by accident.
    3 I like the Media page but agree with the last poster that disappearing images are slightly strange. The left hand margin is slightly out at the point of the bottom thumbnails - or at least it appears so as the darker grey line only covers the right hand thumbnail and the bottom of the thumbnails.

Member #
    thanks for the critique, im thinkin im just gonna scratch it and redo the whole thing since i havent put too much time into it, and i know i can do a lot better.

gdc
    Member #
    I don't mind the site. However, I'd suggest that you speed up the main animation if you choose this route. I'd increase the frame rate by 25-50%

However, since you haven't gone too far with this, I'd convert the site into html and, perhaps, leave the portfolio section as a flashlet (if you really think you need animation). Start thinking about SEO. Unless you think you can survive on word-of-mouth alone, your site needs to rank in order to attract customers. A one page flash site is not going to rank well. Good luck!

Remove Ads