Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Okay, so this is going to be a job board (employers-jobs-job seekers). As I am working with a very small budget, it was decided to use a template for the site, and one of my goals for the site was to have very little visual interferance (no advertisements, etc.). My personal opinion is this...I think it looks like a toy built with Legos; something from one of those $19.99 sites where you can have your own website in minutes. What do you think; would you take this site seriously? Keeping my miniscule budget in mind, do you have any suggestions?
    ** Disclaimer** I am not the person who created/designed the site, but I am responsible for having made the choices that gave the site its look.
    Any help is desperately needed and greatly appreciated!
    For comparison purposes, here are some job board sites I believe to look professional and easy to navigate:
    www.rightstaffinc.com
    www.atlantajobs.com
    PS> This site will be changing to a fixed-width design.

Member #
    It's not bad really - just lacks a bit of flare. If it's possible within the template you've chosen, how about adding some photos - the usual stock photos - people happy to find work - folks in suits etc..

www.monster.com is a decent example -

http://www.creativecircle.com/ too - though that site is purely for creative types looking for work..

Good luck.

Member #
    The major criticism is there is nothing to tie individual box elements together into a coherent design. There is also no information "scent" or hinting for giving the user a clue on where to click first.

jj1
    Member #
    I agree with a previus poster. If you can get a good image (eg from Microsoft Clip Art or Stockphoto), you could put this either to the side of or above the blue rectangle and immediately make your site look less like a template.
    If you could then align boxes - eg align the search results box with the left hand edge of the blue rectangle and align the website statistics box with the right hand edge of the blue rectangle - then you're starting to get a more professional feel.
    Personally, I would also look to change your slogan "Serving ... in more ways than one" to something that immediately tells me what you do.

Member #
    Thank you all for your critique; all of it makes sense. The person programming the site will be finished soon. Since there is no sense of urgency to get the site launched (bad economy, no jobs, etc. etc. etc.) I will wait until after the holidays to implement your recommendations. Until then I look forward to scouring this site and becoming a regular. Thanks again!
    Cheers,
    James

Remove Ads