Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Dear all,

Firstly, a big hello, this is my first post on the forum and I wanted to say hello and introduce myself! My name is Dom, I dabble in web design and have just launched a site for a client selling retro sweets.

I hoped, with the collective experience and knowledge on this forum you wouldn't mind spending five minutes casting your eye over the site from a design and technical perspective and offer some thoughts or advice.

There are still a few little tweaks to make for FF and IE6 users, however, I am sure I will get around to this in the next few days.

Lastly, my gratitude is never enough, so I have organised with the owner of the site to offer you (and anyone else you wish to give it to!) a 10% discount on the Chewbz website.

Thanks in anticipation... and don't hold back!

Dom
    Link to main site: http://www.chewbz.com

Member #
    Just realised I forgot the promo code for you!
    Please visit the Chewbz website, add your products to the basket and then enter the code:
    DIACP10 (case sensitive)
    Cheers!

Member #
    I really like this! The sites purpose is clear in about 3 seconds - I like your background graphic especially the banner. It's pretty easy to navigate around and purchase items, though I would have any security credential graphics further up the screen so it's one of the first things you see - to reassure people their online transaction is going to be safe.

With that in mind - because the site is so playful - it might not be taken seriously.

http://www.zinaz.nl/ - take a look at this site - very colorful, but comes across as a little more professional.

Just my opinions - I hope they are helpful.

Good luck.

Member #
    Cool, thank mate.

It is playful which is great but I think you are right, the site is e-commerce so needs to be trusted, we played around with the content (simple things like capitalisation) and still not firmly sold on it. I guess leave it for a week and see what happens, formalise things next week and see what happens, repeat as needed!

Thanks for taking a look!

Member #
    Makes me want to ...leave the site. ...and buy PhotoShop. Or hire the designer to develop some other funky web site.

Not as great as it sounds when you're selling candy. And by the way ...I can't see what the product is (which type of candy).

The site is text and copy averse. This is common for graphic artists -- especially those using client sites to sell layouts, not the product. Unfortunately the visual merchandising of the central purpose is poor. In other words, the candy looks like an excuse the sell the layout.

Clicking through (which I barely bothered, because as a user I doubted the designer had much enthusiasm for my shopping goals) I find "allergy and safety information"

No, wait. There is a side bar blurb "a chewb cram-packed with a random selection of sweets from our retro range." That doesn't help me. It forces me to go looking for what makes up the retro lineup -- precisely the wrong thing for merchandising success.

FYI, the reason for the top level is to foster Shopping Behaviour. The reason for product pages is for Information. This site sacrifices the user (at every level) on the altar of "aren't my PhotoShop skillz cool." When I'm on a product page and I'm thinking about Graphic Art or PhotoShop and not candy -- that's bad.

At Christmastime -- it's terminal. Nothing compelled me to use the coupon code.

Somebody needs to figure out how to make the product photos outshine the layout. When the layout is remarkable as this is, visual merchandising must be considerably more savvy to hold it's own. Not a problem. It's done all the time ....offline.

Online ...not so much. And this is a textbook case of knowing everything about graphics and site layout and almost nothing about the purpose of layout and graphics: Visual Merchandising.

I honestly can't see where any conceptualization of the user intruded upon the designer's thoughts at all. "The User" is some kind of vague abstraction, not a person seeking information to help reach a decision. I can see the user treated as art patron, a visitor admiring one's skill in graphics. Excellent layout. Horrible site design.

It's portfolioware, not a web site with a product to sell.

Visual merchandising would make people wonder why they just bought more candy than they've ever bought. This site didn't influence me to buy any. And I've got candy to buy.

Related:

Jewelboxing understands the most important graphic is the product graphic. Strangely enough, nobody ever turns their CS3 skills toward product photography and composition.

Stony Brook Cookie Company makes the product the star, while the layout supports without hogging the spotlight.

Mrs Beasley's doesn't get high points for layout design, but what they got right was great product photos.

Remove Ads