Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Portfolio Site

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Just wondering what people think of the color scheme and layout so far.
    Im not the greatest at design...but im trying to improve.

Cross browser CSS = frustrating at times.

Thanks,
    Scott

Member #
    Hello,

"Cross browser CSS = frustrating at times." - agreed!

I'm a big supporter of sites that keep things simple, but your site is perhaps a little too simple. I think a visitor might be a little confused as to what your site is about. Some sort of logo/banner graphic/slogan might fix that.

In your projects section - you have a couple of dead links. Your death note template is a good idea, but the thumbnail image took a long time to load. You should create a separate thumbnail image instead of just using your full size image, or just reduce the file size of your full size image.

The formatting on your code examples is off a little (I'm using Chrome) - also - in IE 8.0, your navigation doesn't appear at all, and your background graphic doesn't fill the whole screen - more CSS frustration for you!

I like the background graphic, and think it would work better as part of a design that fills out the page more.

Hope that helps.

also - have you have any interviews yet? I'm currently working as a web designer, but have found that it is a hard industry to break into unless you're a graphics wiz, designer and developer all rolled into one. I'm also seeing a few jobs posted in places like Craigslist that offer a really low starting wage - $10 to $14 - and they ask for a degree and 2 years experience!! (Home Depot pay more!!)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey thanks for the reply.
    I understand the fact that a visitor might be confused as to what it is about. Ill work on that.
    Glad you like the death note template..i think its simple but nice. I'll reduce the size of the thumbnail..I didnt know that even with a reduced width n height the browser still loads the entire image file.
    As for cross browser compatibility, sorry it didn't work for you. My main focus is to get it to display properly in IE7/FF
    then I will move to other browsers . I hate IE..but have it installed for XBrowser CSS.
    Thank you for your criticism it would definately help
    And as for interviews, not yet. But I'm more of a programmer than a web designer and I have a couple years of college under my belt.
    And ya..low starting wages suck...people just don't understand
    what it takes to be a web designer.
    Thanks for your feedback appreciate it

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You have only text on your homepage! I don't like sites without any graphic or video!

Member #
    I agree with the comment that you should include some images. I would also strongly recommend using a lighter background as it more usable and pleasing to the eye. Maybe even left aligned text will look neater than center aligned.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    ill take a look at the left aligned and see if i like it more.
    thanks for the suggestion on the background
    im not quite sure what to do in terms of images (i plan on having videos in the project section later on)..but im at a loss in terms of what images to put on there
    im trying to concentrate on textual content at the moment
    a flashy site with nothing would do nothing for me
    thank you for the suggestions will definately take them into account when working on the site

jj1
    Member #
    I'm afraid I didn't really like the site as it stands. A few comments:
    1 I quite like the idea you have with the masthead but would try rearranging things a bit so that it reads "Scott Moniz ... web designer ... developer" without all this actually being in a line (at the moment it reads "web designer ... Scott Moniz ... developer" which is not as intuitive) - maybe have your name more left aligned and the "web designer" and "developer" somewhere in the middle in a staggered sort of way?? Also, I'd make the contrast between these words and CSS php etc a bit stronger.
    2 I agree with other people - graphics would help. Maybe use some of your website designs as a picture in the middle between the left and right hand columns? Maybe rotating for the first page and then non-rotating for each of the project pages??
    3 I would try to keep the same design format throughout - the box to the left, the (I would say picture in the middle) and the box to the right. Make them the same size each time. Don't keep changing the design on each page.
    4 On your home page, don't talk about elementary school or high school even - you're in the adult world now and you need to sell yourself as a talented designer, programmer etc etc.
    5 On your projects page, don't have "a quick little template" - design some really good website designs for dummy companies so that people can see what you could do for real customers. Again, this is all about moving out of college into the real world. Sites such as http://www.sxc.hu/ or Microsoft Clip Art will give you a source of pictures that you could use to create websites for garages/beauty salons/estate agents etc etc.
    Sorry this sounds critical - hope it helps you. Good luck!!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The layout and color is just not my type. Its dark and it did not grab my attention at first glance. Sorry dude, but I really did not like it. You should really try to improve on it more.
    OneIMS.com - SEO and Website Solutions
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey thanks for your reply....quite tough, but your right.
    I think i gotta rethink it all

See...Im a programmer first..and I know the technologies and all to make a website, but I lack the whole design portion...Im really bad with color schemes and design in general...its just a different side of the brain but Im trying so hard and ugh..Ive spent so much time on it and Im just extremely frustrated at the moment.

Anyways Ill look into your suggestions and Ill try to do better.
    Btw, is the site you linked with photos stock photos? royalty free?

Im sure microsoft clip art isnt, but what about the other site

jj1
    Member #
    Aburningflame - sorry, didn't mean to make my post sound so critical. Was actually trying to help, but am not always tactful when tired. Forgot to mention that it's easier to design on a computer graphics programme such as Macromedia Fireworks than it is whilst actually creating a website - that way, you can try different designs and see what works without having to invest so much time. Don't lose heart - everyone has to start somewhere with design. Look at what designs are out there on the Internet that work and study them so that you can see what you like and don't like about them.
    By the way, I don't think your original design is unworkable - I quite liked the boxes at the top. It just needs bringing together. Good luck!!:-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads