Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Not sure if this should be my new portfolio site or not.. On one hand I think it's kind-a-interesting - on the other, a bit cheesy . Not sure I'm comfortable sitting there square on the screen for the world to see! But I am trying to make an impact..

I trust the advice I'll get in this forum. Everyone who posts here seems pretty sharp and knowledgeable.

Thanks and happy Holidays!:classic:

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    All of the above!

Cute concept. I really like the idea a lot. But I think you have to evolve it. One thing I hate about your site is the portfolio thumbnails. They're too "vanilla" (not stylized enough) and I hate that you don't see a pointer on rollover... instead, you have the default arrow. Other than that, I think you're on the right track!

Something else that bugs me is the HTML text inside your box. I think it wants to be graphic (even though I know that's just wrong). Anyhow, chew on it.

PS - Other pages should have other photos of you in other relevant poses

Member #
    Thanks for the advice - I've changed the thumbnails so you see the pointer now. And I tried to ad a box around those thumbnails to make them look a little more interesting.

jj1
    Member #
    Not sure if I would keep the site or not - although it's very original and creative - and it's a good photo! From your portfolio, I get the impression that you could design equally creative sites that you might be more comfortable with. Having said that, I don't react badly against the design.
    A technical point - on my screen, the wording appears two thirds on and one third off the white rectangle.
    I initially viewed your screen in a partial window and didn't see the blue writing to the side so all that was wasted on me. An error: even once I made my screen full window, I could only see half of the blue writing without using a scroll bar to scroll to the right. A very minor point - the first DanceWorld thumbnail doesn't have a "Go There" in the blue writing.
    From your portfolio it appears you've got the ability to do contact forms - I think you should have one on your own site. Likewise, I would put your resume as a page on your website rather than making people download.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I think you're making good progress. Here are some ideas to take it to the next level...

The simple border amkes the thumbs look like a floating element inconsistent with the rest of the concept. Try putting a design around the icons. Maybe make it look like a piece of furniture designed to hold them. I think a CD rack or something might look good. Look at furniture online and pick something as a basis, then modify it to fit your needs.

Cut the thumbs in squares and put two to a row. Give them bigger margins (20px all around).

Give a bigger margin from the top of your head to the top of the page.

Put a title at the top of the page, even if it's just your name. Have it go partially behind you, making it look as if you're sitting in a virtual space.

Member #
    To Steve Moseley - thanks for the advice - I had actually started looking at putting the thumbnails on a bookshelf and started looking for images - thanks for your advice - I'll certainly try to incorporate it on the site.
    to JJ1 - thanks for taking the time to review the site. I'm curious though - what resolution do you have your screen set to, and what browser were you using to view the site? I designed this to work for a 1024 * 768 screen or bigger and I tested the site in IE on the pc, and Safari, FF, Chrome on the PC and Mac and it works with just a little variation in the postioning of the central content on the white pad. You're right about the contact form - I should really put that in place. There is no Go There link for the danceworld site because that site isn't live yet.

jj1
    Member #
    You've obviously tested a lot - my configuration must just be the exception.
    I'm using IE6 and I believe the resolution is 1080 x 800. I have done a couple of screen saves of what I see but am afraid I don't know how to post them here.
    By the way, the changes you've now made have made your thumbnails and portfolio pics appear even more to the right. On my screen, it was better before.

jj1
    Member #
    I wasn't thinking yesterday - I've now sent you a couple of screen saves via the email on your website. Hope they help.

Member #
    This is pretty well done, I have seen a similar version of something like this on www.nvidia.com, but it was done in flash and they had H.264 video of the person smiling etc, and then freeze framed the holding of the posterboards.

I think it would be a good idea if you did this in flash, recorded yourself holding the posterboard, and loop back maybe a smile and a wink at the camera, then you wouldnt have to try cutting out your hair in photoshop, and it will all fit together more nicely :-P

But overall I do like it, very good job, but it can be improved!

Remove Ads