Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi,
    I'm interested to hear opinions on my website design. I'd love feedback on my blog's design, particularly, because I'm not really used to reading blogs. It's the link on the right that says "Articles."

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    To me, it looks like www.useit.com - the site of Jakob Nielsen - which I hate with a passion.

Some people don't get that "usable" and "attractive" are not at odds with each other. Usability doesn't require that your site be devoid of design.

Member #
    In your case, I'd say they are at odds. Your forum is more concerned with looking smart than making sense.

A home page? Why would anyone need a home page for a forum? List the categories and cut the BS. Not to mention two links on that page with the same name "Web Design Forums" go to two different places. Neither have title attributes. Barely any link on this site does. Certainly not the "home page" link next to your users' name. Does that go to this site's home page, or that user's home page? Why not "this user's home page"? Bet that was a tough call.

I know you probably meant to gut vBulletin and come up with something nicer, but it's more like you gutted it and spread the blood around like Jackson Pollock.

I'm looking at five disabled select boxes at the top of this thread, all of which say "Sorry you cannot rate your own site." Why bother displaying them?

I can't even read the LOGO on Transio.com. Dark green on black? Have you heard of contrast? I'll leave the rest of that site's flaws for you to find. I'm not doing your work for you . Just let it be known that first thing your users see is clubLenovo, and the last thing is your logo.

You could learn a lot from Nielsen, but I doubt you'll ever have the humility.

PS Making a theme for Wordpress REALLY isn't that hard.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Don't get defensive. I'm simply stating my opinion on "usable" design. It's not my taste.

FYI, I'm not asking your opinion on either of my sites, but since you care to bring it up, neither are my design. WDF was designed by the previous owner, who is a programmer, and we're redesigning Transio here: www.transio.net.

But let's not make this about me... I gave you my opinion. Either take it and use it to your benefit, or be a child and spew out hateful comments to make yourself feel better. But don't do it here... we're professionals here.

Have a nice day.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    And FYI, the comment that "some people don't get that usable and attractive are not at odds" was not directed at you. It was directed at Jakob Nielsen. The advice I was giving you is to take Nielsen's advice for what it's worth. He knows how to make something usable, sure, but what his devout followers don't understand is that marketing (the industry you're in) does not consist entirely of usability.

Your website is not Facebook or YouTube. Your site is a marketing tool for your business. As such, it should demonstrate your ability to:
    1. Get people to a website
    2. Keep them on the website
    3. Transmit an effective marketing message clearly to the visitor
    4. Incite ACTION (contact, purchase, etc.)

And it should demonstrate those by DOING them. What about the (lack of) design of your site makes you believe that someone would hire you as a DESIGNER? Remeber that Nielsen is marketing himself not as a designer, but a USABILITY EXPERT. Think about the difference, and then make a decision on your own.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Toyally agree with ya Mosey and I would much rather come to your site and maybe just maybe have a wee problem finding summat anyday than attend his website and be greeted with no personality at all, but hey who cares we are all different eh?

jj1
    Member #
    I'd include a complete full-screen pic in the middle portfolio section of your home page - it would look better than just a menu bar pic that you have. I would probably also use a different website as a home page example - eg "Web Stores America" is a bit more attractive visually. I would probably also have the middle Portfolio section of your home page as a series of rotating pics - certainly, if you want to put text in about the website, then use shading or smaller font text to separate it from the "about us" stuff to the left - when I first started reading your site I homed in on the middle section and wondered why you were writing about a folk rock band.
    You have no home button.
    Logo design - you need a few sample logos - even if these are for dummy companies.
    As a web design company, you might learn about SEO - eg "sprinkling" keywords in a "natural" fashion into the title tag, <h1> - <h6> tags, menu alt text, pic alt text, and anchor text of internal links, not to mention the text itself.
    Hope all of the above helps - it's intended to be constructive.

Member #
    I don't mind useit, but the problem is visual flow. It's hard to fix on a starting point or move through the layout. Part of this is line spacing. Another problem is you don't use front page "blurbs" to lead into other pages.

Useit doesn't have this problem because they use multicolor columns and proper space between lines and paragraphs. Snippets introduce and lead the reader into articles.

The portfolio section has a bit of this, but you need to apply the idea more throughly.

Check out Coudal Partners website for how to develop a layout grid, visual flow, and informative copy.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what that Coudal site offers and still don't know. I got bored and exited. I would have done it sooner if I was just browsing normally.

Member #
    I'd look at Coudal more like lorum ipsum. Study the type and layout.

As we're talking about useit.com, how about checking out the reuseit.com design winner.

While there is only one blurb, the line spacing of the body copy is good. And it finds a compromise between useit and the site's detractors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads