Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I have two frames tied together in a third page called index.html. [newbie terminology corrections appreciated] I want the whole enchalada made into a template because it should carry this look site-wide.

The problem that I can't seem to get around is that index.html loads and index.html seems pretty much invisible to the editor and all I can do is save the two individual frames as templates. That doesn't seem to be of much use.

I'm on the verge of just copying the files over and over, someone please stop me.

Is there any way I can get all three together combined to make a template?
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    If your host supports PHP, ASP, or SHTML, you can:

Use Server Side Includes (SSI):

Server Side Includes are special tags that can be used in PHP, ASP, JSP, and SHTML scripts to include the contents of one text-based (html, etc.) file into another.

Find details on how to use them here: http://www.webdesignforums.net/showt...5519#post68869

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I love canned text

Member #
    Well, I really need to have a template in dreamweaver. I should have specified that in the post and not just the title, I'm trying to get these two frames and the .html file that ties them together made into a template so I can then continue making pages in dreamweaver that all carry the theme.
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:

Member #
    If you want to play around with frames in DW, hit CRTL+F2 to view the Insert panel, and then click on the Frames tab. From there you can add/delete frames, and change the src of each frame to make it look the way you want. I think this is what you're looking for, if not let me know.

Member #
    No, I've got the frames happening, it's just that I have two frames tied together (terminology?) by the index.html. I want to be able to take all three of those html files and make a single template out of them so I can keep generating new pages (or trios of pages) using that exact same layout.

My solution was to just always use the same leftframe.html and then make a template from the right frame to create all the stuff that really changes from page to page. Then I took the original index.html and copied it a bunch of times, renamed it with all the different page names (pagea.html, pageb.html) and then in a text editor I changed the reference to the original right frame and renamed it (pageaframe.html, pagebframe.html.)

Well, I thought I had it all figured out - BUT - each time you click on a link, it tacks on an additional left frame!!! WTF???

Here's the original index.html that I copied and renamed to all the pages needed:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Untitled Document</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    </head>

<frameset rows="*" cols="135,*" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">
      <frame src="left.html" name="leftFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>
      <frame src="rightf.html" name="mainFrame">
    </frameset>
    <noframes><body>

</body></noframes>
    </html>
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    If you're using frames, you don't need to generate three new pages everytime you want to change the right side's content, you only need one. If you want a new page to show up in the right frame, target the link to open up in the right frame.
    Code:
    <a href="newspage.html" target="mainFrame">
    EDIT: Just to clarify, you would put this in the left side, so the left side opens up on the right side.

Member #
    HOLY CRAP!!!

(translation: "thank you, thank you, thank you.")
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    Okay, that works great on the right side, how come I keep tacking on the left side frames?

(for a laugh

http://www.vellosoft.com/sjcart/index.html
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    Okay, once I deleted all the duplicates of index.html, then it wouldn't try to add the two frames into the right frame, right?

Thanks a bunch.
    ~ mikeycorn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads