Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello all! I just put up a new website for my company and I wanted to know how you like the design. It's still under construction but I want to see what people think and if anyone has any suggestions.

The website is for a Web Design and Graphic Design company. We just started our company less then three months ago and already have major clients. I never had time to do our website because we were so busy with clients. I did it pretty quick to just get something up.

Let me know what you think!

Member #
    The welcome page is retro. Most gave them up around five years ago or more. Welcome pages are like a writer "pawing the ground," wasting a reader's precious attention getting ready to announce they are about to get to the point.

Just get to the point. Using the Welcome to present the user with Flash of HTML versions is also out-of-date. Use either detection or a gracefully degrading method which shows equally good looking versions whether the user has the Flash player or not.

Why? Because that's why people hire web designers rather than kludge something together themselves.

With that context, "....Black Rhino Marketing is a fresh, new Web Design & Graphic Design company..." takes on whole new meaning. For instance, why hire a new startup firm?

Copy line height is set to annoying. It looks like each line is a paragraph. Again, potential clients are looking to hire someone who can fix that. Use proper line spacing so paragraphs show up.

Reversed type is designer clever, readability no-no. On top of everything, the color scheme makes the very dark rhino in the logo practically invisible. Again, aesthetic faux pas like that are what clients want fixed.

Clicking through to articles loses the header. The articles themselves are trite and generic. Use the rhino (preferably something specific to the black rhino) as what writers refer to as a metaphor for your business or design philosophy. That's the meaning of the typing in the article on making a difference with branding. Difference = differentiate.

Never write generic articles when you can use examples from clients or yourself to illustrate. That proves you believe what you say enough to apply it. ...And proves you have clients without the reader having to go to a dedicated section to find out.

That said, the idea of a case history section would prove praise worthy. In context, it bodes ill for the eventual execution of the case history.

So, while you may get fan mail from competitors, my guess is the potential customer isn't as thrilled with it. On average, it looks like the circa 1998 site a potential customer would want to hire a designer to modernize.

Member #
    Thank you for your input. I took a lot of what you said into consideration.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Looks good.
    Email Campaigns link is not clickable in the right column.

Member #
    A couple opinions:

The text and links on your right sidebar run over the image of the arm and make the text hard to read. Would be better to have the text stay of the bg for readability.

On the blog page, the anchor to return home in the header is set to a long, thin strip. I'd set the anchor to the rhino logo in the middle in addition to the "click to go back..." text.

I personally like the color scheme on the blog page more than the other pages. I don't think it would be bad to adopt that color scheme for the entire site.

The site seems too text-heavy, especially for a design site. The header looks great. If you could add more visually appealing content like that, instead of huge blocks of small, tightly-packed text, I think you'd be golden.

Remove Ads