Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: What's your immediate impression when you arrive at a site with frames

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Whoa! I dig the way you can scroll one part and the other just stays there!

0 0%
  • I still dig frames

4 23.53%
  • Not used as often anymore, but still okay

0 0%
  • Makes no real difference

0 0%
  • A little out of vogue, but it works

3 17.65%
  • I'd rather see the accepted norm

2 11.76%
  • Archaiac and lame, almost as bad as sites that still have flash movie intros

8 47.06%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Frame poll

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

The first two jobs I've landed have been really simple sites, and for both, I liked the look of having a frame for a navigation bar permanently off to the left, and no matter what was happening on the right, that frame is always there and ready for navigation. The thing is, it seems to me that in casually browsing the Net, frames seem to be less and less prevalent than from what I remember a year or two back.

Most visitors probably wouldn't give it a second thought, but I'm thinking more of the most savvy visitors to my sites now, and what their immediate impression will be when they encounter a site with a frame to the left as a navigation bar.
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    I'm not a fan of frames, because they can confuse visitors: can't bookmark individual pages, visitors expect the whole page to scroll, etc. When building a navigation, I like to use SSI (Server Side Includes). They allow you to change one file, and the change is reflected throughout the site instantly. SSI can be done using a number of languages, PHP, ASP and even SHTML. You can use SHTML on almost any server.

Here is a thread on the frame/iframe debate.

Member #
    Wow, there's obviously been quite a bit of debate on frames here long before I posted this poll. Spluff, looks like you've had a real change of heart on iFrames since your post in March. I'm still halfway through the second thread of frames debate, I have a question though.

Can you give me a quick explanation on the difference between Frames and Inline Frames?

Which would this be:

http://www.vellosoft.com/sjcart/index.html

[link corrected]
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:

Member #
    LOL, yeah I guess you could say that, I've learned alot in the past few months reading and posting here at WDF, and I've come to dislike frames, and only like IFrames in certain cases. (exceptions could be made in both cases I suppose though :ichatangel: )

The link you posted didn't work for me, but here is an example of a site that uses an IFrame. An Iframe is similar to a frame except that it's like a box within the page. You can still give it a name and target links toward it. That site is currently being critiqued at WDF, here.

For more on the IFrame tag, here is the W3School's page on Iframes. The W3Schools is a good reference for HTML, as well as other languages.

Member #
    I had no idea the can of worms that I was opening up with the frames debate (actually, the can was already open and the worms are all over the place here!)
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    LOL...we're sensitive around here! :classic:

Member #
    The only frame I approve is a top frame on webshops which contains the shoppingbasket...
    However, iFrames are handy
    Eggiweggs... I would like to smash them!

Member #
    Well, just to put a cap on this thread, here's one more convert to the "frames suck" camp. Along with the many aforementioned reasons, the final straw was when a vistor when to the "Get Directions" page to print up a map and ended up with a nice listing of the links on the left.

The only good thing I can say about the frames was that it was a hell of a lot easier to set up the frames than it has been to try to duplicate the look with background gif and tables on every page. (My links on the left want to jump up and down a pixel or two at every new link.)

Oh well, I'm sure much of what I'm trying to do is much easier once you learn your SSI and PHP (and CSS and XML and all the rest of that alphabet soup.) Now if I could only figure out which I need to focus on learning first.
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    MSDN Library

All the justification I'll ever need for the continuation of use of frames where applicable

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    But frames are supercooool!!!!

Actually, I don't mind them much at all... Many situations they're very useful. But for the main navigation of sites, I don't like. Dont' get me wrong, I've sinned plenty in my web design career, but I'd like to think I kept it to a minimum One example of a site that I made that could have done without frames is (I think) http://www15.brinkster.com/brak/gates However, I don't think it ruined the page either... just didn't add anything, and could have been better without. (Also note the clever absence of iFrames )
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads