Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

hi, I am new to this forum, have been on the SEO forums for a while and have been working on that part of my site for a long time with some success.
    anyway i have a question someone maybe be able to help me with, it is as follows:
    From analyzing my site and the sites of my competitors who are ahead of me in the organic portion of the SERPs I have noticed that they have in their text a higher amount of keywords that we are all competing for.

Although I have completely re writen my home page I believe it could still do with another paragraph or two so I can add more text filled with my relevant keywords.

Unfortunately when I try to add more text to the home page of my site it is not adding well! My page is divided with a dark blue border and a light blue interior where the text is contained, if I add more text it is spilling over to the images that are my phone numbers in the dark blue border at the bottom. Obvioulsy I cant have that, looks very unprofessional and sloppy.

My question is, does anyone know how I can easily increase the height of the light blue interior portion so I can add a couple more paragraphs of text and thus helping me out with keyword occurence in the main text of my home page.
    If anyone knows of the paramaters I should change I would really really appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance

Member #
    Unfortunately, the designer of your site used a fixed height background image to create the dark blue/light blue boxes. Not the most graceful way to have handled it.

The easiest way to fix would be to increase the size of the background image in an image editing program, and then change the fixed height of the div#all in the css file accordingly.

There is a better way to fix it that would allow for the height of the light blue box to auto expand depending on the content. But to do that is a bit more involved.

How comfortable are you editing html/css?

Member #
    I am a novice, but can follow directions and instructions well enough,
    I have become more comfortable with editing HTML in recent months for SEO purposes (meta, robot, text) but not for overall layout/design.

Member #
    I was hoping that it was not a fixed height, would have been nice to have adjusted according to amount of text inserted but the site has been built for quite a few years and I cannot afford an overall web redesign!

Member #
    Alright, well let's do this the quick/easy way then.

Attached is an image called home_bg.jpg. Replace the one on your site with this one via FTP.

Then go to the abc.css file and open it in a text editor like Notepad. On about line nine you should see this code:

Code:
    #all {abc.css (line 9)
    background-image:url(home_bg.jpg);
    background-repeat:no-repeat;
    height:1144px;
    left:0;
    margin-left:auto;
    margin-right:auto;
    position:relative;
    text-align:left;
    top:0;
    width:850px;
    }
    Change the height:1144px; to height:1550px; and then overwrite this file on your web server via FTP.

This should give you plenty of room to add more text. If you find you have too much space left at the bottom, you can simply change the 1550 to something smaller. Just play with the number until you have it the way you want it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Thanks a million, you have been a great help, I will go ahead and implent those changes so I can add more text, once again thanks a million

Member #
    Sorry for asking so many questions but I did as you instructed and if you visit the web site you will see what happened I got more space after the footer, where the footer should be at the bottom of the page and the light blue box should be joined together so I can continue the text with a <p> seperation,
    As you can see a seperate light blue box has been added, any thoughts?

Member #
    Ahh yes. I didn't notice that they had absolutely positioned your footer. Look for this code at the bottom of abc.css:

Code:
    #footer {
    position:absolute;
    top:1100px;
    left:0;
    }
    Change the value that says top:1100px; to top:1500px; or whatever value looks right to you after you determine how much of the blue box height you need. Basically increasing the value will move the footer down, decreasing will move the footer up.

Member #
    again, thanks a lot, have done what you told me to do and it looks fine, will add my text later,
    hopefully the extra text containing my keywords will give me another little SEO advantage over some of my competitors,
    Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh absolute divs, why why why did they invent you?! Fine if you have content that never changes, but they don't even handle text resize well. I'm gonna do a tutorial on a simple floated layout and relieve some of these headaches!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads