Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello,
    www.luminogenics.com
    This is a new website recently published for the biotech industry, with specific regards to biotech incubators, research parks, and associations. I am curious how the webdesignforums.net community will react to the aesthetic of the site. www.luminogenics.com is updated daily with current world news and industry news, but I'm curious what people would do to make it more friendly and accessible.

I appreciate the feedback,

Thank you

www.luminogenics.com

MrE
    Member #
    Hello,
    You have good content. That's said to be the most important aspect of a website. However, if I clicked on a link to your site, I would leave right away. My browser is set to 1440 x 900 pixels but, I still have to scroll left and right to view the whole page. It's too much work to try and read your website.
    My advice is to keep your page width at 800 pixels so it can be viewed by everyone without scrolling side to side. Also, downloand the most popular browsers and see what your site looks like in them. There may be big differences.
    My best advise would be to stick with what you know. Maybe hiring someone to create a simple design that you could easily update would be best. If you're determined to create this yourself--and I certainly understand--invest in programs like Photoshop and Dreamweaver and practice, practice, practice.

Member #
    Thank you MrE,
    I guess I'm pretty serious about doing this right.
    I have adjusted the width of the page to the standard 800px,
    but you know I think you might be right,
    when working on the site I preview in FireFox because that's just the easier way to do it, then I opened it up in Safari and I saw some major differences, so I guess I'll have to do something about that.

Thanks again for the feed back.

Oh yes, and as far as hiring a consultant to design it, I think that is a rather good idea.

Member #
    It's pretty difficult to find any particular story of interest. Nor does the page reflect the purpose - biotech incubators, research parks and association.

Easy prey drew suspect
    US accepts blame for crisis ahead of IMF meeting
    Politics hover close to surface in Iowa
    South Africa has never had a president like Jacob Zuma

This has nothing, zero to do with the reason a visitor came to this site. Seeing it, and not seeing the submenus, a goodly percentage will leave.

You need subject relevant topics. Not generic biotech -- biotech startups, research and association news. Without this, the site is irrelevant.

Instantly give visitors what they came for. Develop an easy to scan news layout and categories for topics. The nav is practically useless for humans, lose it. Develop a hierarchy using H1, H2, H3 etc that's actually easy to scan. Use columns for different dimensions of the information. Add a search box.

Lots of basic mistakes. Check out sites like Topix Biotech for an information hierarchy you can scan.

Member #
    Um, Okay, DC856, Topix looks pretty good doesn't it?
    Now, I'm not sure if I'll be able to write a synopsis for every major article,
    every now and again it is definitely possible though, which makes me wonder, do you think it makes it easier to read with Every Word Capitalized or just with the First letter in caps?

I added some CSS to make it easier to read and I've also adjusted the links to pop up in new windows in order to make it easier to navigate around.

Thanks for the input.

Member #
    There are actual readability tests, but I'm not sure of the results re: Initial Caps vs All Caps

Since all caps is looked on badly in body copy, my leaning would be to use initial caps for headlines. CSS can come in handy for this, as you may know.

Remove Ads