Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Okay so let me have it! Besides the Free server and pop up!

http://barcelona.iwebland.com/Worksh...sphotos_v2.htm

http://barcelona.iwebland.com/Workshop/gallery.htm
    (no pics in the gallery yet)

Thanks Again Guys!!!

Member #
    Interesting design. Here are some of my thoughts:

I dont like the nav. Simple as that . The buttons are pretty big and too spaced out. I know they need to be spaced out for the mouseover, but I dont like the amount of space they take up.

Also, the grey bar you have that's seperating the nav from the rest of the site is a little thick for my liking.

I think the graphic at the top needs a little more to it. For a photo studio, this site doesn't have a lot of color.

When you finish laying out the content I'll comment more on that, but for now, the "News" section looks like it's off of the page, because of that gray line to the left of it. That line looks like it should be the end of the page. Also, the info at the bottom is in a different font then the rest, try to stick to one or two fonts throughout the site.

There's some stuff to get you started, good luck!

Member #
    Here's something i noticed.
    I ran my mouse over your buttons and was about to click, when they re-sized. I thought WOW and it stopped me from clicking. I then ran my mouse over the rest of the buttons to see if they all did the same thing.
    The thing is that i then came back here to say how good i thought your nav system was and never actually clicked to get to the next page.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    The navigation (popular topic) is poor, in my opinion for three reasons:
    1. Primarily, your items are too spaced out vertically (to accomodate the animation), which makes the navigation less usable. I have to scroll down to get your bottom link on a page with only 6 links !!! That's poor usability design.
    2. Despite all the space you're leaving for the buttons, they still get cropped at full-size.
    3. Because you're using an image in the animation, the last few frames of your tween to pixel shifts (i.e. the image noticeably moves from left to right). There are three ways to correct that: a) calculate your pixel movements to the frame, b) don't ease out so much at the end of the tween, or c) don't use images in flash. That wouldn't be a difficult image to redraw with flash, anyway.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    My own suggestion on the menu is to simplify it. Don't even bother with Flash. Just use image mouseovers. It will be a quicker load, a lot less distracting, and more search-engine-friendly in that your site will be spiderable.

As far as your colour scheme goes, what to me would make the most sense would be to have a few of the images on the opening page. Since it's a photography site, let the user see something upfront. Then you can retain your colour scheme for the nav and outside (which works for me due to the simplicity) and then you're all good.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I actually quite like the navigation. Its pretty cool and just generally different.

The logo is good, and so it the bar between the navagation and main part.

It might be worth changing your CSS, so when links are hovered they change colour, or an underline appears.
    You should also make the bottom link much more visible. The dark red is hard to read on the grey background.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I don't dislike the navigation except for the points that I specified.

Member #
    Instead of just saying I don't like it, I should have given more constructive reasons as to why. However, Transio did that better than I ever could have. The nav is certianly different and different can be good, but Transio brought up some excellent points on where this nav could be improved.

Member #
    I will make some changes today and repost as soon as I have uploaded the pages! Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    When you make a design. try to have everything the vistor needs available to them from the beginning.

edit:
    also, i've found that drawing a design on paper before making it with photoshop or fireworks really makes it very easy to get a bsic simple layout made which you can use again and still have a different look.
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Remove Ads