Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Please take a look at my two little sites and tell me what you think.

12noon PPC search engine

The above is a modified script i bought. It still needs a little work doing on it, but i think i'm getting there with the design.

12noon message board with Artificial Intelligence

My message board is also a bought script and i've started modifying that as well. I've added Artificial Intelligence to one of the forums (a robot will reply to anything you say} and i've also altered the colours and pictures.

:classic:
    Say what you must !

Member #
    The search engine's design is nice, I'm not a huge fan of red but for a red design, I like it. One thing I noticed is that when looking from left to right, the content seems to become more squished. The navigation box has some room in it (which is fine), the search categories has less room in it, and the Top Listings box looks a little crammed. The site statistics box is a neat idea, I like it.

As far as the message board goes, it looks like a standard message board, in red. The banner up top could use some dressing up, and any other eye candy you could add to the forum to differentiate it from other message boards couldn't hurt either (as long as it's not distracting).

Nice sites, looks like a lot of work there.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Only comment is that your "search engine" (which looks more like an index) should scale to the page width rather than being fixed-width. There's too much content for a fixed-width layout.

Member #
    Hmmm, i'll have to think about that.
    BTW do you think the searches are fast enough ?
    I think it takes about 5 seconds per page at the moment.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    It didn't seem to take that long for me to search for a few sample terms, so from that standpoint I don't see an issue.

From a layout standpoint, I like the colour scheme and layout in general, although for a search engine you may find browser compatibility issues due to your use of CSS in most places. You have a couple of minor typographical errors ("Top Searchers" instead of "Top Searches" and "Site Statistic" instead of "Site Statistics") that you should correct.

My major beef with the site isn't in the layout, though, but the PPC model itself. The whole concept of a pay-per-click model is too steeped in corporate logic and misleading to the consumer. The whole point of search engines is that they're meant to provide non-partisan, relevant results to topical queries, not results that were sold to the highest bidder. I do realize that they're becoming more and more ubiquitous and that you're just trying to cash in on a rising tide, which is something I can respect in itself: however, as a long-term business venture, you may want to look at allowing at least some free content.

Google manages to make money without having any more than 8 PPC sponsor ads per page and can still generate relevant results for the most part. Why can't everyone else?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    The search speed seemed reasonable for me, they ranged from 5-8 seconds. One thing you may want to add to your site is an "About Us" or "About this site" section. I didn't realize that every search result was paid last time I visited your site. I only did one search and didnt look closely at the results, so it's partially my fault. Regardless though, knowing that every result is a paid advertisement is something I'd want to know before I started clicking away at your search results.

Member #
    Not all the search results are paid. I'm also using another feed to fill up the results. Just searching for something doesn't cost anyone anything. It's when you click on a result that the site is charged.
    I should have said something about that when i first posted here.

Sorry.
    Anyway, i'll see what i can do to make improvements.

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    How did you set up noonbot? That thing is wacky!
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Dude... noonbot is the bomb !!!

I've been studying AI a lot recently... it's some cool stuff. Noonbot is the most advanced AI i've actually used

Member #
    Originally posted by Wired
    How did you set up noonbot? That thing is wacky!
    OK i'll give the game away.
    NoonBot is an AliceBot and if you do a search you should be able to find where you can download one for yourself. The hard bit is making the AliceBot work on the forums.
    I've actually got an update for NoonBot that will make him even smarter, but updating his database is harder than it sounds. I can't just update without wiping everything he's learned so far.
    BTW did you notice that NoonBot sometimes misses the first letter off his words. I still need to fix that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads