Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    2.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi everyone, I just started this website as a request from my classmates. Because everyone was going away and we were getting separated but they wanted something to connect all of us, so they requested this. It was supposed to be a site exclusively for my classmates and only a forum but I thought that if it were to grow bigger, then they might want the whole school's IT community to be in it, so I made it more than just a forum. But I don't know what to put in to make it better.

So, I need some help on what to do so I could make my site better.
    Any feedback or comments would be appreciated.
    Thank You

This is my site: http://msuiit-scs.webs.com/

Member #
    Graphically I dont think it is very good I can see almost instantly that some of the text has not been optimized and there are just a few other things such as the eyes that i just dont think fit but as an interface for people to use and navigationally, I think you have hit the spot Definitely 9/10

Member #
    Can you give me any advice as to what I should do to make it better?
    And also what do you mean by "the text has not been optimized" and " a few other things such as the eyes"?

How should I improve them?

I really need to make this the best it can be.
    And thank you for your reply.

Member #
    How have you saved Block 51 Lounge as your text at the top because it looks like jpeg to me, just seems a bit too compressed to me and whos banner is at the top because your site would look better without it i think. Other than that its fine.

Member #
    Thanks for your replies!
    I will try to use your feedback to make it better.
    Thank you so much!!!

DGS
    Member #
    Well, not to be mean, but this is a webs.com site.

They basically build the site for you.

I mean yes, you do add the pages and the content of the pages, which you did a good job with, but the actual design of the site isn't "yours."

Member #
    Yeah, you're right.
    I'm using this like a draft, so that when I do start paying for the site, most of it will already be done.
    And when I have made it the best I can, that's the time I will build the real thing.
    And I know that building a real site is nothing like what I did at webs, you may not know this but I am an IT graduate so I think I know well enough to start my own site. And I know that if I do start building it right away it WILL be crappy, that's why I'm letting professionals rate my drafts first.

I hope I don't sound rude or anything.
    And thanks for taking the time to look at my site.

P.S. Using webs was a LOT harder than what I did at school where we had to do the scripting ourselves. And there were a lot of things that I wasn't able to add in because I didn't know how to use webs well enough. Maybe when I'm done making the REAL thing I'll post it here again with the things I wanted to add in, and let you guys rate it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    did you just say using webs was a lot harder?
    *shakes head and walks away in disappointment*

open photoshop, open notepad/dreamweaver/frontpage.
    create your directory structure and start with a blank file.

using webs was a lot harder....sigh
    thats actually hurtful lol

on a more serious note, the navigation is hidden/tucked away, hard to follow and not very accessible. so, the webs design is alright, if you use it as a guideline, fix the navigation

(i mean the right column)
    people read left to right, and will notice the sign in/register right away.
    maybe its just me thinkin inside the box, but menus are usually left/top for the reason that theyre noticed quickly.

anyone know sites with a right navigation?
    update: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/naviga...alignment.html
    found that while i was searching..seems to agree with me (even though its menu items and not actual menu i think the same ideaology applies)

Remove Ads