Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    1.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Please take some time and look around at the site I just did for a local Irish pub in my town... Let me know what you think any and all critiques are welcome as I do not travel in a very tech savvy crowd their isnt much criticism...
    Thanks

Member #
    It seems to be that you are trying to match a natural look with a tech-ish look, and it is not working. The scrolling text at the top is cpu intensive, which is more of a nuisance to your visitors, and the buttons on the side do not match the rest of the web site's feel.

I would suggest trying to get a directional idea for the site, and design based around that. Designing is so much more difficult than simply coding out a design (i have the same problem ).

Member #
    A few things here:

1. I'm not really sure what the background is supposed to be. Is it trying to represent something? (Ireland's main colour being green a factor?)

2. The banner seems a bit squashed with the reflection that you have given it and as a result it is harder for people to read the pubs name because it is smaller; I would suggest removing the reflection to increase the size of the heading.

3. With the scrolling text, I think it is alright if you wish to have it there but I woul suggest that you up the frame rate so that it appears less jerky and scrolls across the box smoothly.

4. The colour schemes do not always compliment one another i.e. the navigation at the bottom is hard to see as it is black on grey rather than black on white, white on black etc.

5. As Alex said, the main navigation buttons on the left seem from a different time and are too 'tekky' considering the appearance of the rest of the site.

6. Content-wise, would it not be better to have your opening time in a more visually accessable place rather than right down the bottom where it just seems part of the address?

It's a good start, you just need to make a few changes I think but then everybody has different opinions.
    Ali Hitch

Portfolio & Tutorial Site
    www.alihitch.com

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    i agree with both of the above and would like to advise(even though its a template and i loath templates) in your css add

a { display: block; }

this will cause the entire <li to act as the link so the user can click anywhere on the <li area making it smoother instead of having to get right on the text. if someone tells you to use padding for this ignore them or go buy a lot of aspirin.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    as dorky said above, your left nav a should be displayed as block.
    and you may or may not have to give them a height and width (i think auto will work, but if not you have to specifically set them) that wlil make the buttons clickable.

I kind of like the background, its not a normal gradient or something you typically see...its cool.

Agree with the above posts that the buttons do NOT fit on the site, you should really change them

I have motion sickness - i get sick on long car rides and stuff..they give me headaches..point being the scrolling text at the top is giving me a headache for some reason, it might be cuz i havent sleep for a bit, but i think its the flashing.

Also - why would i need a password to see the dj schedule :S ?
    If thats a CMS sort of thing, you should display the schedules from there
    and have something like admins/djschedule for the CMS part.

Other than the issues above, its a really good start and looks good, keep it up

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    i actually set width with the ul and height with the li and i get no problems.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    As every other poster said, the main visual disorder is, the button styles does not blend well with the grunge background.

Member #
    Your images take a long time to load. You realy should take the time to resize them for them web. For an image that is 120k (like the one on your home page) you should be able to lower the quality to get it down around 50k without any noticeable difference.

Also, the pink doesn't match the color scheme.

I found my self distracted by the background trying to figure what the heck it is....

The scrolling text is very amateurish and not very readable.

I like the pictures throughout and of the staff. The schedule links are weird..and not something a customer should see if it requires a password.

Since this is a restaurant website shouldn't you have a menu? Do you serve food?

People go to a bar to eat and drink. You should probably tell people what you have to offer.

Remove Ads