Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I recently worked on a project with a graphic designer and this issue came up about the credit for the 'web design.'

Here was the situation:

A team of 2 developers. ( graphic designer and web developer )

The graphic designer came up with the graphic design of the site.

The graphic designer sent graphics to web developer who did most of the web optimizing. ( resizing, cutting, etc.. )

The graphic designer communicated how she wanted everything to be layed out while the web developer coded it.

The graphic designer had all the asthetic desicion making authority.

end situation:

Questions: If there MUST be credit on the bottom of the site that says 'web design by' ... Should 1 or both of these developers be on that credit. (and who) Keep in mind that there is already a 'graphic design' credit which the graphic designer obviously is under.

Is the 'coder' any part of the web design if he did not graphically design or make graphical decisions on it?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Member #
    Hard situation that so often arises but you definetly both deserve your kudos. The graphic designer for his innovation and you for your ingenuity. Why don't you have both of your respective names or companies in the footer in small type with links to both of your sites.

I do this in all my sites check www.removalboxes.org for an example (sorry for the plug!)
    www.appletv.co.uk

Member #
    I'm not sure If I could do that.

Most people prefer to do the whole site themselves. I will do the design, look, CSS and actual pages.

The only think I can't do is dynamic stuff (with PHP), as I havn't learnt it yet. So I usually get some one to do it for me, or some times I use scripts. I can modify them usually, as I know basic php.

I will always link to myself, its a great way of advertising, plus people see and even use an example of your work.

SO, I think both you and the graphic designer deserve credit.

Member #
    Tough call, because both of you deserve credit for the job. However, one thing I find curious is that you're putting a "graphic design" and "web design" credit on the site. This may confuse some visitors, as those are two similar credits. Possibly a "Designed by" and "Coded by" credit would be more appropriate, unless you want credit for the design too.

Member #
    If it was up to me I think I would have put a "Developed by John Doe and Joe Dohn" instead of "Web design by" and "Code by"... since they've developed it together
    Eggiweggs... I would like to smash them!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I would fire them both and hire people who aren't such ego freaks.

Then I'd put the company's name in the credits, because it's the whole team that deserves the credit, not just the ego freaks.

Member #
    thanks for the replies everyone. it is much appreciated.

honestly it doesn't matter a whole lot to me. what did effect me is that when i expressed my thoughts in a friendly email on the subject that web design is a part of what i do to the graphic designer (who never did one web site in her life), she responded with an 8 page, beautifully designed, dear jon letter of the freelance/design industry dis-agreeing, disrespecting, insulting, and flamming me all while being very wrong in many of her facts.

it was a business decision she made driven by her emotions and we won't be doing busienss together anymore.

i just wanetd to confirm that my original email wasn't out of line in suggesting that someone who inturprits the visual idea into html is a definate part of he design process as well.

these are some pretty nice looking forums and i look forward to bouncing future ideas, thoughts, questions & answers off all of you in the future.

thanks!

Member #
    p.s. i wouldn't want to do business with myself either after i read the spelling in that last post =)

Member #
    That's too bad about the graphic designer getting out of control. But her design is something she's passionate about, and I'm not sure how much credit a coder should get for the design. You said you "interpreted the visual idea into html". I gather that to mean you sliced up her psd file and optimized it for the web. Even if you changed a shadow here or there, the design I would say is still pretty much hers. If I bought a template off templatemonster.com, changed the button colors and sliced it up, I wouldn't say that I designed the site.

There may be more information here that I don't know, but reading the two posts you made, it seems like she designed it, and you coded it. If you "did not graphically design it or make graphical decisions on it" (which is from your first post), then it seems like you didn't design it.

DigitalHybrid had a good idea too of a "developed by" credit. That may produce customer leads that want you two to work together again though.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    If it's this extraordinarily important, I suggest just having an "About this Site" link in the footer, and then a separate psuedo-credits page. However considering this (i.e., your site) is supposed to be professional, I'm going with Transio on this one.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads