Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.6 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.6 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey guys let me know what you think, be easy some of the flash animations took a minute.

thanks

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    remit

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorky
    ok one freelance design is not supposed to be cheap and the entire site is flickering and nonfunctional. it is also overkill to use flash for that design. the only thing it does is show a loading bar, ironically the only reason it has to load is because it is flash lol. and the pixelated
    bg could be done with an animated gif. adobe doesnt make you a designer. it means adobe made money.
    ouch man. what is non functional? and to my knowledge, there is nothing i put in my site that said freelance was cheap...? weird

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    I think he may be deriving that from the quote on your front page where you talk about low costs.

Site loaded fine for me (Vista / IE7).
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    ok one freelance design is not supposed to be cheap and the entire site is flickering and nonfunctional. it is also overkill to use flash for that design. the only thing it does is show a loading bar, ironically the only reason it has to load is because it is flash lol. and the pixelated
    bg could be done with an animated gif. adobe doesnt make you a designer. it means adobe made money.
    Dorky, I think we all get the point you don't like flash - and that's fine. But that does not mean that there is not large group of people out there (and many clients) that absolutely LOVE the dynamics, movement, and look that flash like the one on this website provide. I'm not trying to be mean anything man, but if I was someone looking for a website, I would go to him before I go to you (based on both of your homepages). Overall, his site is much more visually appealing, whereas yours, well, it isn't. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you've been ripping people about the flash thing with really no basis.

Now to your site, overall, I do like the design. While I don't mind the flash, I think you should try and avoid doing navigation in flash, and, if possible, the content for the simple fact that it makes your website hard to crawl and if someone doesn't have flash, they miss out on the (arguably) most important part of your site, the navigation.

I don't really care for the little polaroids, I don't see how they apply and its kind of 'overkill.'

The white text on the yellow is hard to read IMO. Maybe go with a darker text color in these areas.

The box that fades in on the "about us" is kinda cheesy and doesn't really do anything, maybe scrap it?

On the portfolio page, your "adverts, logos, myspace, etc..." buttons look out of place. Maybe just text links? Try and find some way to incorporate it into the design more.

The text on the contacts page is way out of whack. That could definitely be fixed... way to big... it isn't "visually pleasant"... whatever that means

That year in the bottom left corner seems pointless - I'm sure (I hope) your potential client knows what year it is.

It might be cool to have that mountain image change when you go to different sections. I think that's a good spot to customize each section and it would be pretty simple. If you want to do nature, there are some absolutely stunning stock photography nature shots that would work well there.

Hope that helps some.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    remit

Member #
    its not harsh. if you dont like my site, maybe it sucks. im not a pro just yet. and yes i do rip on someuses of flash. but it wasnt a down vote vote because it was flash it was a down vote because on my setup it did not funtion at all. while a site should be apealing the end user came for a product, not all site are designed for gamers. load time is also very important to those that pay for design.
    i didnt think i was supposed to lie, it didnt work and i stated so. flash has its uses yes. check out another company in my area to see a flash site i think is done well. http://www.firestormcs.com/ . so yes flash can be done well. but for me this site didnt work. and by the by my site is in another thread if you want to vote on that. but dont expect i will go nocking your site on someone elses thread or at all unless it is up for vote like this one and only if i think it needs nocking. i took some words about my site but i didnt get my panties in a wad over it. maybe you should investigate a claim before you decide its value. you do know part of design means cross platform testing right? MS is not the only OS. so quit chasing me around the forum. you have your vote and i have mine. GROW UP.

UBUNTU JAUNTY. FIREFOX 3.0.10
    first of all, i'm not chasing you around the forum. i stumbled into the other categories and noticed you posted something about CMS, which was spawned because of something we were discussing. i have also commented on other people's sites because i enjoy helping them out. as you'll notice, i think i actually provided some constructive comments, whereas you failed to do so. way to suggest that only 'gamers' enjoy dynamic visual content (and i'm told to grow up)... as far as loading times, the site loaded extremely fast. and a lot of flash, if optimized correctly, does just that. no one suggested you were supposed to lie, so i don't know what you are talking about there. i know your site is in another thread, and i gave you constructive comments there. i was just pointing out how, in my opinion, how his visually surpassed yours (since that was your main complaint).

and yes, i'm very aware that part of development requires cross-platform testing. i'm not an idiot. but its not his fault that ubuntu has known issues with flash. i'm sure the flash worked just fine in firefox...

i'm aware that you have your vote and i have mine. i wasn't telling you to not post your opinion. just debating this whole flash thing.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    remit

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    remit

Member #
    Generally I am in agreeance with stairatthesun.

The biggest argument for me is the contact page; the information on there really needs some work on it as the wording all seems out of proportion and looks as though you have just stuck it all in at the last minute because you were getting fed and just wanted to finish it. I think once a little more care is taken over that it should be much better.

The other thing that I noticed and didn't particularly like (everybody is different and has their own opinion) is the pixelation of the mountain background. I have seen this used on other flash sites and can look very good, but on this site I think that when about 60% of it becomes pixelated at once, it just seems very old school and not terribly appealing, although the single pixelations at different opacities can work well.

Apart from those the site is visually appealing and seems fairly unique, good job.
    Ali Hitch

Portfolio & Tutorial Site
    www.alihitch.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads