Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi everyone!

Please review my www.hollowpoint.com.au website, thank you, comparing it against the old one at www.hollowpoint.net.au

I'm not sure which one I want to keep.

Cheers :-D

Justin
    Hollowpoint

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Ditch the people in the background. In both the new and old site they're clearly cut out of other pics. Site's also aligned a bit to the left on a wide screen. Other than that it's pretty good.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Thanks. The offset to the left was by design, as just about EVERY website I have designed is centered... thought I would be a little different!

Yeah, the people (which is actually me on the left) are taken from another pic, but I don't think anyone would believe that we were 'floating'... it's just an incidental. It needs something in there... so without that pic, I am not sure what should go there. They only appear on the core pages, so maybe I will replace that background altogether (although I do like the water).

Thanks for your feedback!

J

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    not a fan of cms so i cant vote. but the site looks very clean. you may go for an opacity look over the water is what i was thinking.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    hello, here's some thoughts:

overall, it seems like there's a lot going on. when i come to the page, i am unsure of where i should focus. there are so many different things to look at that it kind of becomes overwhelming. what should the focus be? how do you make that pop? these are good questions to ask.

colors. try and find a consistent color scheme. there are so many different colors. i usually try and use 3-4 different colors throughout a site (sometimes less, sometimes maybe a little more, depending on the circumstance)

some of the other pages on the site are more appealing than the home page... honestly, as stated by someone else, i think it's the photos of the two people (or rather you and someone else). i think a simple picture in the background works better, imo.

i like the content, the text is presented well and easy to read.

really, i think this has some potential. like i said, pick a color scheme and apply it everywhere. and rework some of those central images. maybe lighter ones that don't overwhelm the page.

hope that helps some. look forward to seeing progress.

edit: i reread one of your posts above where you said you didn't know what you would put in the place of the people if you removed them... don't put anything. its okay to not have every space on your site filled with something. like i said in the post here, plan what you want your visitor to see, what order they should see it in and how you make them do that.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorky
    not a fan of cms so i cant vote. but the site looks very clean. you may go for an opacity look over the water is what i was thinking.
    What CMS? I use Dreamweaver...

Had a look at your site. Sorry, this may come across a little bitchy, but I think we may be in two very different markets here.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by stairatthesun
    hello, here's some thoughts:

overall, it seems like there's a lot going on. when i come to the page, i am unsure of where i should focus. there are so many different things to look at that it kind of becomes overwhelming. what should the focus be? how do you make that pop? these are good questions to ask.

colors. try and find a consistent color scheme. there are so many different colors. i usually try and use 3-4 different colors throughout a site (sometimes less, sometimes maybe a little more, depending on the circumstance)

some of the other pages on the site are more appealing than the home page... honestly, as stated by someone else, i think it's the photos of the two people (or rather you and someone else). i think a simple picture in the background works better, imo.

i like the content, the text is presented well and easy to read.

really, i think this has some potential. like i said, pick a color scheme and apply it everywhere. and rework some of those central images. maybe lighter ones that don't overwhelm the page.

hope that helps some. look forward to seeing progress.

edit: i reread one of your posts above where you said you didn't know what you would put in the place of the people if you removed them... don't put anything. its okay to not have every space on your site filled with something. like i said in the post here, plan what you want your visitor to see, what order they should see it in and how you make them do that.
    Thanks. I think I will kill the photo after all... seems to be the predominant issue. It's critical that I not only get opinions from other developers, but, and no offence intended, it is more crucial to get opinions from potential clients. Developers see things a little differently to potential clients and the feedback I have had so far from clients has been 'wow'. But, again, they raise the issue with the photo, so perhaps it's time I stopped being stubborn and just remove it. :-\

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by hollowpoint
    Thanks. I think I will kill the photo after all... seems to be the predominant issue. It's critical that I not only get opinions from other developers, but, and no offence intended, it is more crucial to get opinions from potential clients. Developers see things a little differently to potential clients and the feedback I have had so far from clients has been 'wow'. But, again, they raise the issue with the photo, so perhaps it's time I stopped being stubborn and just remove it. :-\
    Understood. The target audience's opinion is important. Hope my comments helped

Member #
    photos gone!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by hollowpoint
    photos gone!
    that looks better. can i make one more suggestion? maybe changing the color of the text in the navigation (at the top, and the bottom links) to white? play around with the color of that... like i said before, too many colors.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads