Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: My next Job

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I've decided that I'm going to start posting up the sites that I get called in to redesign because I have to hear other peoples opinions on these. Also I want to find out if its possible there are any other design companies as bad as the ones that I'm called in to clean up after?

http://www.theivyhouse.uk.com

I have a meeting with the owner of this very respectable establishment tommorow and so I thought I'd post this up before I go beddie bies. I'm expecting that shes going to tell me that she shed and arm and a leg to pay for this thing......just look at it.

I can't wait to show everyone the others, theres one company in particular who have the gaul to charge (wait for it) 1000 a consultation! Wait until you see their sites! Post your opinions on the Ivy house and maybe I can use them in my little chat with her later.

http://www.theivyhouse.uk.com
    www.appletv.co.uk

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    LOL @ That. It's common... Web Disaster. People shouldn't pay upfront. They should agree to pay for development of conceptual designs (for a few hundred bucks tops) and wait and see what happens, then approve it or walk away or go back to the drawing board... at least they're not so heavily invested that they feel tied to it.

Unfortunately, most "web designers" don't know how to do business, and most businesses are so used to doing it the wrong way in web design that they just take what they can get!

Member #
    Yup...this site is awesome. I love the use of frames, non-consistant layout, confusing navigation - complete with non-preloaded mouseovers, and the new windows that half of the navigation pops up. This is quite a site that you're trying to compete with.

Member #
    I cant believe someone actually paid for that.....

Member #
    redesign? Wonder how the first one was...
    I'm sorry to say this, but you can be accused on attempted murder with that site :\
    Eggiweggs... I would like to smash them!

Member #
    This is the site he has to redesign, he hasn't redesigned anything yet. More like forgot-he-ever-saw-this-and-scratched-his-eyes-out, then started from scratch.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've seen plenty of it. Also, the WORST is when businesses DONT' SIGN CONTRACTS... they just get invoices for thousands of dollars in the mail...

I've talked to a few design companies so when I do business I generally do it the way transio mentioed... Actually, we've got a design studio downstairs from our house (www.freemindstudio.com I think) So it's kinda cool to talk with guys that have actual companies with real buildings/etc. I've always gone with the premise of charge for X amount of potential designs, let client choose, then proceed after granted access

Splufdaddy EDIT: edited url
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Yup thanks for the input guys, Hybrid, please don't ever associate me with such filth! I'm going to talk to the manager and put it to her gently that it can so with a little sparkling (ditch the old one, make a new one).

I'll post up my designs for the new site as it progresses to show everybody the process I go through. Maybe additional input will help refine my process.

Catch ya later. Gsheepx
    www.appletv.co.uk

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Okay, I'm confused. Did someone design the site or just blow chunks into their CD-ROM, load the contents into Dreamweaver, smooth them out and make a website from them? The real tipoff to that is the artifacting around the "Enter" graphic. You can just see how someone spewed all over it.

I just love the way they have a splash page before a Flash movie that I can barely read. That's just....*MUAH*! That's special right there. As in bus-with-no-more-than-10-seats special.

tha_Gsheep. Dude. Buddy. Homey. If you get this job and do a worse job than this, you are SO banned.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    heh heh LOL
    As I say I'll post up the mocks next week. Yeah the meeting all went as you might imagine and it turns out the place is REALLY nice like 5star nice so I'll be making her something special that will be regularly updated every fortnight. Argh now I've got to do mock ups for her for next week, plus give my girlfriend some attention ...the pressure.
    www.appletv.co.uk

Remove Ads