Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    5.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello everyone.

I have just put a site together (http://www.iccentral.com.au) - and the client wanted it to look very corporate...

I have not really had to do a highly corporate design before so I was looking for some comments or suggestions for improvement on the design.

Any comments are welcomed!

JB

Member #
    Navigation is crammed with confusing choices and used rather like a junk drawer ....Visual flow is poor and fails to lead the reader's eye through the layout ....Other than the central part text size and headings are used poorly in order to get everything above the fold (it doesn't work, you still have to scroll) ...No compelling information or unique selling proposition ...Generic stock photography of fashion models pretending to be employees with not a clue about taking real employees and showing their credentials or successful graduate testimonials

All in all it does look like the "design by committee" mess you come to expect from corporate.

Redesign with an eye for readability by adding some space around text areas, user focus and put some information to support the decision to find out more.

Member #
    DC856,

Thanks for the honest post!

It has been some time, but we have redesigned somewhat to try and get the flow and point across a little better...

Can you take another look and let me know your thoughts now?

Member #
    Hey there,
    I feel the logos make the panel seem very heavy and is not creating the right balance in the design.

Member #
    Can you take another look and let me know your thoughts now?
    If I recall correctly, it is a marginal improvement.

For an example, take a look (ignoring the stock photo poorly used) at this layout.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    DC that link you gave puts us right back here.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I don't like to comment on visual things because that's what everyone else does, however, I really think there should be a margin top of about 10 to 15 px for the page. It really looks cut off at the top and I find myself trying to scroll to see the top of the page.

I'm not a big fan of using a "sub menu" navigation. This gives a user too many choices and makes it confusing. The main nav has the different categories, which should just lead them to a page for that category and then branch off from that page.

There are way too many links on the home page. The user does not need to get EVERYWHERE from the home page. That's not what the term "navigation" means. It means getting from one point to another by means of a path. People can navigate a web site easily if given a logical and "expected" path to travel.

Example: It's like going to an airport hub and seeing ALL the flights listed and you need to find yours to get going! Confusing!

There is no persuasion to lead the user anywhere. You have image links, text links, and even some links embedded in a flash box. Nobody is going to know where to go. What is the best seller? What is brand new? What specials do you have? These are examples of where to lead a user.

OK, call me blind, but there is not one thing on that home page that says what this business does. The only thing that gave me a hint were the little "certification" images toward the top such as Adobe and Microsoft. Is this a place to take certification tests? I shouldn't even have to ask a question like that. How about "Get certified through our elaborate certification testing programs!" Tell us what you do!

The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
    Please contact the website administrator.

This is from "training resources/ exams.

"Solutions" for the main nav. I see this word thrown about all the time. It's like a business cliche word that has a thousand meanings. I guess it's ok for a heading once you get into a particular page, but not so great for a main navigation link.

This site could be a real seller. It looks like a good company. I think the navigation is going to really hurt sales. Have you done any user testing? You know, where you get ordinary people to navigate the site while you stand behind them and watch quietly, with no communication. So important when launching a site yet I'll bet most designers don't do it.

You obviously have the knowledge to build a fairly complex site and kudos to you there. But the navigation has to be addressed or it's going to kill sales.

Member #
    Link Fixed.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DC856
    Link Fixed.
    I think you have a stray letter after the backslash at the end.

Member #
    Must be having a "bad URL day" or something. Post in haste, repent at leisure.

Well, it really wasn't that great an example to begin with ...but stray character removed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads