Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Ok guys, I haven't been here in quite a few months but I have been busy.

Anyway, I've been desinging this site for my uncle, who runs a local glasses lens framing business. I'm doing this work unpaid, and it is my first 'real' site, other than just mucking around and doing stuff on WDF.

So I'd appreciate any feeback at all, as long as it is constructive.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Diddy, are those actual tables I see in your site!? You could have done those couple of spots with divs easy enough and reduced the markup quite a bit. Did you code all that? Some of it is confusing to me and could have been done a lot easier, there just seems to be a lot of markup for as simple as the site is.

A couple of things... I absolutely love the appearance and simplicity of the site. It just looks great. Colors and layout, excellent.

Content and marketing... ehh.. not so great. A little too simple from that aspect. It needs a little more explanation of what the business is. You touched on the selling point, which is undivided attention to service by remaining a small biz. But if someone were to stumble across the site they would not really know exactly what it is until navigating a couple of pages.

This site is a perfect example of when to use a "real" photograph of the owner and a customer. That would really communicate 1 on 1 service, which is what he wants to accomplish, right on the home page. A generic super model photo would ruin the whole thing!

Again, I love the look.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I'm not digging the green on gray look. I think it's too low-contrast.

Member #
    Aero: thanks for the feedback. I could have used divs on the "turnaround times", but for some reason went to tables. Might change that, but I would prefer to use tables on the price list. Tables are good for what they are designed for - and that is showing tabular data. That is the only way I would ever use them.
    In terms of coding, I did all the html and css, and customised the javascript for the tab switching. I assume you're talking about the html (index.html) page? It might look a bit confusing becasue you might not be familiar with how the tabs work, but I find it fine to navigate. I love that the whole site is one whole page, as well.
    The colours and simplicity of the site have been taken from the business card, and that is what the owner is trying to accomplish, and the style of the simplicity suits the area and target market that the business is trying to reach. Glad you liked it.
    In terms of the marketing and content being too simple, I tend to agree. Unfortunately that's not really in my control. The owner gave me the content, and I put it in the website. I might mention this to him however.
    I also agree about the photograph. The business prides itself on its personal service and supports local businesses that are its customers, so a photo would be a great idea. Thanks for thinking of that, I didn't. I'll mention that to the owner.

Steve: I think it's a good colour scheme, but perhaps the grey could be a little darker? It's currently #555555. Maybe #333333 would be better.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    #333333 would be good but the yellow may suffer, something in the middle. you may also want to take a look at google with regard to indexing and javascript reliant nav. the rest is great, very clean.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It might look a bit confusing becasue you might not be familiar with how the tabs work, but I find it fine to navigate.
    Your right, I'm not familiar! But I do like it.

In terms of the marketing and content being too simple, I tend to agree. Unfortunately that's not really in my control. The owner gave me the content, and I put it in the website. I might mention this to him however.
    This is the perfect opportunity to try your hand at "guiding" your client. You know him so it should be that much easier. I don't know how your people skills are but this is an example of how a designer can expand themselves in another area of web design, which is marketing. It's tougher than it sounds to persuade your client on what they NEED instead of doing what they want. You sometimes need to put on the "salesman hat" and sell what you think the site needs. The whole conversation can start off with "ya know, I have experience in marketing and I think...". Not everyone can be that person though, wearing many hats (designer, coder, writer, marketing, well spoken).

I'm rambling a bit but it's because your answer to that was "The owner gave me the content, and I put it in the website." I don't know how many times I've heard that. We as designers need to do more than that. At least try.

Edit::: One more thing, it's ironic that the text is soooo tiny considering most of his clients, or all of them, will have impaired vision!

By the way, I was just razzing you on the tables!

Member #
    Thanks for the advice Aero.I think it will be harder telling him becasue he is related to me, but I think I will try. Thanks for the advice on that.

About the tiny text size - he frames the glasses for businesses that outsource it, he doesn't deal directly with the customer of the shop.

Member #
    Actually looks very elegant and simplistic. Some parts seem a little sparse content-wise, but otherwise I love the look and feel of the website.

Great choice of colors too
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    im not sure whether i love it or hate it.
    the logo is really nice and elegant and im a huge fan of keeping it simple, but...i dont know. i think its a lil too simple.

Member #
    Your website design is rather boring and could use some better colors and an actual design. When you go to a website you should be able to see what it is and here I can't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads