Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi all,

I started a new job at the beginning of the year working at a university library as a web assistant. One of the first projects I was given was creating this online exhibition. It went live a few weeks ago and I am reasonably happy with it.

If I started it again now I would have done things a little differently as I now have a little more knowledge but I was required to work on it here and there when I had spare time between other projects.

The result is that a lot of the initial code I wrote when I first started isn't exactly best practice (aligning div's and p's in the HTML) but as I was only allowed to spend limited tiome on it, I didn't have the time to go back and change everything.

Please let me know what you think, any criticism is welcome.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    just a few comments
    firstly, splash pages arent really good practice, however, i think in this case, u did it well. considering this is more of an educational site, i guess its ok.

secondly , the menu up top, i didnt even notice it the first time i took a look. Banner blindness i guess, but usually users skip the first lil bit of the top of the page due to usual banner placement.

thirdly, ur lightbox is nice but where there are more than 1 picture (ex Program to william mckinley funeral service) these should be lightbox galleries, not single images. that way if i want to view the entire program i can click next, next, next. instead of click, close, click, close, click, close, click, close

The way to do this is rel="lightbox[mckinley]"
    I believe that works, so on all those images add the [mckinley] and they will be part of the same collection.

Other than that, looks good.

Remove Ads