Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Website Mockup

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.3 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.3 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.7 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.7 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

The link above isnt the actual design. This is the old design. I have attached a jpg. This is the mockup for the new design. Id really like to know what people think about it before i go ahead and slice it up and xhtml css it.

Not being a designer, this is the best place I can go to to criticize my work. Tell me what you like, what you dont like etc thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Not too Bad (The Jpg Version).
    Things are alittle Big though.

Member #
    I think its a lot better then what you have now thats for sure. I think it does look a little bit like a template. I agree I think everything is a little big, from the text to the links etc. It's kind of confusing with the links being different too. And the links on the left side make it a little confusing too.

I do like how it has a wave in in and it kind of flows with the other layers. It flows more with the bottom layer but not the top layer. I don't like the little image you used next to home and CWT either.

It needs some work but it's a good start and a big upgrade from what you have now.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    ya, the text was put in there as a placeholder i put it in there before i did the wave because i wanted to know how much space i should keep for content.

The left side menu would be for projects only. When you click the projects link, the page would have the left side menu with all my projects. Is that still too confusing?

The little image next to home is supposed to be the rollover effect, do you know any sites that have cool rollover effects?

Thanks for your criticism so far, I will definitely shrink the text.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    www.scottmoniz.com/dev

I really really like the way this is turning out so far.
    I fixed the text issue, I agree that it was too big but those were just there to help me visualize the layout.

Let me know what you think, any criticism is greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The graphics really need some work, the edges need to be cleaned up or made into hard lines, the blurry look isn't looking so great.

Too much blue! It's always nice to add some sort of contrasting color. I'm actually am working on the same problem with my own site (yes, blue also!), I'm trying to incorporate some green in there, some day I'll get the site where I want it!

The bullet images look a little funny too, too close to the text and a little too tall, and... they have some jagged edges.

Have you tried using an Arial font (Sans Serif)? The Serif font is kinda outdated for the web.

I do like the curves you have for the page, they just need to be sharp.

Boy Scott you have a wealth of knowledge with the technical side of your brain but the graphical side seems a little behind! Don't take that the wrong way, just kidding.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I dont know how to make the edges sharp, if i dont feather/anti alias it isnt a smooth curve, but the downside to that is blurring.

I agree with the bullets on the left, those ones are bad..the ones on the home page i think look perfect.

I like the serif font, it was meant to convey a meaning. Professional, Strict, Proper.
    I guess Ill try different fonts.

I dont know much about color theory, and my design eye is a little weak.
    Ya, im very technical, but my creativity does lack and Im trying to work on it.
    I'm not sure what would work well with a blue.

Thanks for your input.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I dont know how to make the edges sharp, if i dont feather/anti alias it isnt a smooth curve, but the downside to that is blurring.
    Feather and anti alias are two different things. Feather will fade the edge of the image and will smooth out those curves which is the one you want. What res are the images? What program are you using for graphics?

I like the serif font, it was meant to convey a meaning. Professional, Strict, Proper.
    I guess Ill try different fonts.
    That's fine, they don't look bad, it's a matter of choice.

Colors can be tough sometimes. Usually it starts with the logo. If the logo is only one color, it can be tough to incorporate another color throughout the site. Greens, oranges, greys, black, and purple all go with blue. It's a matter of finding the right shade. Start by getting it into the header, then sprinkled through the rest of the site.

Anyways, color is secondary to content. I'd like to see the site when it closer to being done. With all your knowledge it should be a good sell.

Member #
    I agree about the blurring issue, at first it threw me off as well. Try using vector software (preferably Illustrator) and those curves will come out super smooth.

I agree about the font looking kind of dated, although I disagree with the point made that Serif fonts are outdated. It's all about how you use them. There are some great sites out there that are very typography oriented that make great use of mixing serif and sans serif fonts. But, like I said, it is kind of a Serif overload. I'm working on a site right now that uses all caps Serif for headlines and Sans Serif font for content.

You definitely know what you are doing technically, but I think, as already mentioned, you gotta work on your graphics side. Whenever you do something graphically, ask yourself, "WHY am I doing this..." Or, "WHY am I adding this big blue curve?" Try and have an overall concept when you go into the design and avoid doing something for the sake of "it looks good that way." If something is inspired, it's usually more inspiring.

Just my two cents... hope it helps.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I don't have a vector based program. I've been using Photoshop which I know isn't vector based, but I expected it to be able to make a curve, I think im gonna go with straight edges instead of these curves. My technical side is very good, graphics is weak though, but thanks for the tip. I'll try to keep it all in mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads