Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Colors, stop!

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I really seem to have a problem when it comes to choosing colors for a design, I get 0% inspiration. I try everything from looking at other sites, using color pickers, and anything else.

It just seems that any colors that I use seem to clash and don't merge together well. They're ugly, and horrible.

I need help! What do you do and/or use when choosing colors for your designs?

Regards,
    Chris

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I used to have problems with colors, too. I used to fancy myself an artist when I was younger. Everything I did was in pencil or ink, though, because I was deathly afraid of color. Sure, I had paints and pastels, but I rarely used them... and if I did, it was in a monochromatic manner.

Then I went through architecture school. Our studies included (besides architectural design) spacial relationships, lighting, figure drawing (for human proportions), and - you guesed it - COLOR !!! The color studies were insane... everything from the physics to the effects of different colors on people psychologically to how hue, saturation, luminance, and all those fun things come in to play.

The main reference that we used for our color studies was "The Art of Color" by Johannes Itten. It's kinda expensive (like $100), but it covers EVERYTHING YOU EVER IMAGINED about color. Itten was the GOD of color, and if you read this book from cover to cover, you can certify yourself as a color expert. You will have a tool at your disposal that few others in the world share.

Something that most don't know is that the successful use of colors in combination is more than just a natural talent. Granted, some people are more gifted than others when it comes to creating a palette. However, there's so much to take into an account... it's more than just an artform... it's also a science !!! Here are some examples:

What's the intended effect of the site you're making? Do you want your audience to be excited, sedated, aroused, amused? All of these psychological states can be triggered by the effective use of color. The science is knowing which colors to use for which effects.

Get the book. Read the book. It's got so many different types of color charts and visual examples... it will answer any question you might have.

By the way... if $100 is a little steep for you, you might want to consider the condensed version "The Elements of Color", which is quite a bit cheaper, if I recall correctly.

Member #
    The Online Color Scheme Generator is a good tool to help you pick out color. I may have posted this link before, but it's a really useful (and FREE) tool.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I too have the same problem if you can remember transio.. but I had one more question. Do you feel it was more helpful to go through the class? Or just read the book. I'm enrolled at calpoly right now, and it wouldn't be too hard for me to find a class similar to the one you were describing (we're ranked #1 undergrad arch school in the nation - better have a similar class ), so do you think it would be worth it for me to look for the class, or just get the book?
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Brak, if you can find something like "Color Theory", that would probably do wonders for you

Remove Ads