Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Okay, from the discussion we had here:

http://www.webdesignforums.net/showt...?threadid=7006

(In case you're keeping score at home) I finally was made a believer myself and am prepared to ditch the frames. I do like that look of the left side staying put while you scroll the pages in the right frame, but the fact that you couldn't see the addresses changing in the address bar, the fact that you could give someone a link to a page, but the page now has no left frame next to it, and the final straw, the fact that a visitor tried to print directions and got the links on the left, these facts all lead me to see the light.

Here's the question:

I need to keep the look, so I've got a gif made from the same two color scheme with thin bar at the left and long running black bar at the right. It's 117 x 1600 in size, does that sound about right? Also, when I go to save the gif, what the heck is dithered vs. undithered?

thanks a bunch.
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    Sorry I don't quite understand the dimensions question and I'm too tired to look at the other post, but Dithering is when two colours are used close to each other to simulate a colour inbetween the two shades - basically shading but using a lower colour count. An example of this can be found on this dragon I pixelled a while ago as an excersize in dithering (I wouldn't use dithering for that much shading normally)

http://members.lycos.co.uk/pixelatio...Wozza_drag.gif

Blow it up in an image app and you will see how the shading works.
    Nothing to see here

Member #
    Thanks for the explanation, that explains it perfectly and now I understand why it's an option with the gifs because of their limited color pallet.

Cool dragon by the way, please tell me you didn't do that pixellation by hand.

The dimensions question on the gif is I'm simply wondering if that's common for designers to actually extend those gif backgrounds out 1600 pixels for people with high resolutions (if it's not a repeating tile) and if there's a good target size for the image size, for instance, I've heard you don't go for a couple pixels high and leave all the tiling up to the browser, even though the image would be much smaller, the browser would tile the background slower.

. . . yeah, it's those minute details that make me act like a tweaker.
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:

Member #
    I allways thought tiling would be better but I would be interested to hear a proper explanation!

Cool dragon by the way, please tell me you didn't do that pixellation by hand.
    I allways do my pixel art by hand - Thats why I love it, it's all about controlling your creation on a pixel level. :alien: I'm still new to it - I just love the style, if you want to know some good pixel art sites pm me as it's not fully on topic...
    Nothing to see here

Member #
    Damn man, that is some crazy stuff if you were doing that pixel by pixel!

Not that it would apply to you of course, but I heard a guy once say, "Photoshop - proof that some people have WAY too much time on their hands!"

I've definately spent way too much time in Paint alone, and it's only now that I'm finally scratching the surface of Photoshop (hour, after hour, after hour . . . )
    ~ mikeycorn

Remove Ads