Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi all,
    I have been really busy but found a few days over the christmas break to redesign my design portfolio, so far I have spent 3 days customising wordpress and I would really appreciate some feedback on the direction I have taken and how I can improve the experience for my users.
    Bear in mind, there is still a lot to do, including a lot of polish and feature additions and content etc. This is still very early stages.
    http://www.masonio.com
    Thanks!

Member #
    I have decided user experience now means "Get Out of Usability or Any Inkling of Basic Principles of Interaction Design -- Free"

What. A. Mess.

UX wasn't meant for artists to pretend they're doing design, rather than self-absorbed self-indulgent whims. Luckily, with nav in dark red on a slightly darker red background, this will self correct.

Starvation tends to sharpen ones sense of reality.

The text content hurts to read, there's no inkling of what you're trying to do but be clever, and the "projects" look like art patronage rather than design. There is no UX methodology, it's all about you. Rampant self-expression. Diagnosis: Terminal Art Institute Education. Prognosis: Death by art direction.

I do appreciate the nostalgia, this is vintage 1997, with a hint of old Wired magazine. I bet you say "cutting edge design" with a straight face and everything. ...used to be very cool.

Member #
    Hi DC856,

You have great points about the usability, and I did say in my original post that there is still a lot to do in terms of polish, and what I meant by this is adding the usability and improving the hiearchy of the layout so that the users will have a better experience.

I never meant for you to look at this as a finished site, but I specifically said please look at the general direction that I am taking, it is still very experimental.

As you may or may not have noticed Masonio is made up of two very different designers and so far we only have projects by the traditional graphic designer and not my web-design projects.

I understand why you think that this was designed by someone from an art insitute but bear in mind this is a design portfolio and I have tried to incorporate that design discipline into the site, I never intended this site to be the pinnacle of usability, but more of a branded experience.

Member #
    a branded experience.
    Please detail what the brand experience was supposed to be. Annoyance? Confusion?

You are looking at your own intent. Not the user result produced.

User experience does not exist without user testing. One reason you sought the input of other designers rather than doing that testing is getting positive feedback from people who aren't the design target. (Mostly because they're just looking, not trying to use the site).

I must admire the resilience of people using the word branding. For every user test categorically showing the visitors leave in droves, confused and annoyed; for every bit of data showing few if anybody converts to a paying customer, there is a branding genius looking for a pat on the back.

Due to the lack of evidence based decision making, you may file branding under religion. But it's still not design.

Member #
    Update: Updated the website with a white background and a more balanced red colour, revised logo slightly. Adjustments to some of the pages, hover effects are still being designed.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    my thing here, i cant tell what it is you are selling. are you a general design firm? media concept firm? art concept? i see various areas of design but you arent really selling me anything. in fact the landing page looks like a portfolio page, and would be fine if they had sales and product info associated with each block. that is if indeed you are selling to each of those design fields.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Its more of an area where we can 'blog' about stuff and keep our portfolio up to date with the latest projects we've completed, however the 'home' page is actually a blog so eventually it will show blog posts but will also show new work added to the portfolio.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    ok, so you arent actually selling anything. i misunderstood.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Upgraded the usability of the site. We're still looking for more feedback as its very much a work in progress site. http://www.masonio.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Its more of an area where we can 'blog' about stuff and keep our portfolio up to date with the latest projects we've completed, however the 'home' page is actually a blog so eventually it will show blog posts but will also show new work added to the portfolio.
    So it is primarily to promote you? It still needs a real message.

I am not a designer - I do web promotion which gets me involved in usability.

What is it you want your visitor to do?
    Who are you trying to attract?
    Why should they read your stuff?
    Why will they end up on your site?

Red means STOP, DANGER and GO AWAY so if I don't see something that I want I will move on (that assumes I find you in the first place).

Rich

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads