Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.3 out of 5

Compatibility:
    3.7 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi everyone! I've just joined the forums because I needed more constructive criticism about my new website. My website contains(or is going to) mostly tutorials and articles about graphics, html&css and some other misc stuff. I would like to know if the content is pleasing as that's the main point of the site. I would also like to read some suggestions you might have to improve the design. At the time of writing I only have 3 tutorials/tutorial-ish articles. I'm using WordPress as I find it easy to use and easy to make themes for (the current one on the site is based on the "classic"-theme). The template of the website and all graphics are made by me(as well as content, hehe, almost forgot that one).

Visit my website here:
    http://tutoriary.com

As for me I'm a gradients and blending modes fanatic. I use GIMP to make my graphics and Crimson Editor to code my pages. And most of the time I code before actually designing the template's gfx, but I've changed my habits =)

EDIT: The W3 validator is telling me I have errors of unclosed tags and such. If you view the source, you can see that every tag is closed and in the right order(from what I know), because I use paddings to make the structure easier to understand. Whatever it is, it's either the W3 validator(unlikely) or wordpress not working very well.

Member #
    Still waiting for replies...

aem
    Member #
    I do like your site, the layout is good, there is a nice colour contrast, however the header of the site (where the title is) it is too large, particularly for people with low resolution monitors. The logo could do with some improvement too, but you certainly have good foundations to build on.

I'm personally looking for someone to help develop my on-line web design business that is due to launch in June 2010 and i'm wondering if you could contact me regarding some issues and if you are will to work with me?

wb Andrew

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by aem
    I do like your site, the layout is good, there is a nice colour contrast, however the header of the site (where the title is) it is too large, particularly for people with low resolution monitors. The logo could do with some improvement too, but you certainly have good foundations to build on.

I'm personally looking for someone to help develop my on-line web design business that is due to launch in June 2010 and i'm wondering if you could contact me regarding some issues and if you are will to work with me?

wb Andrew
    Thanks for the reply! I'm guessing by header you mean the blue area and not the dark navigation too. I have no ideas about what to do with the logo tho. Theres just text and a simple blue, almost unnoticeable glow.

As for offering you help. I'm not much into programming, but if you need help/tips on HTML/CSS and GIMPing, I can do that. Contact me through pm or leave a reply on this thread if you want assistance in the things mentioned above.

Member #
    Any other comments and/or suggestions, anyone?

Member #
    Website lacks presentation.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi! I like the contents of your site, but white background doesn't harmonize with the color scheme - why not to replace it by light blue color?

Member #
    site is average. Content is ok.

What do you offer that the other 1000's of tutorial sites don't?

I think you will have a tough time getting people to your site vs psdtuts.com or other well established sites. Plus those sites look more polished.

I think you should try to make your design much nicer.

Member #
    I offer tutorials. I don't offer copied tutorials. I offer original ones, and I get traffic that way. The objective is to get someone to visit it, then get interested in the tutorials there.

I'm working on a new template.

There are a lot of PS tutorials, much less GIMP tutorials. I've started doing freebies as well. I share tips to beginning web designers. I've been thinking of releasing a Finnish version on a subdomain as well.

No I'm no match to psdtuts.com, but I can always try to beat gtuts.com in search results. I wonder why it's even at the top of the results when you search for gimp tutorials, it hasn't released any tutorials in ages. Good SEO and content, I guess.

The design's goal is to give the simple impression and not distract the reader from the content. I will make a new design tho.

Thanks for replying

Member #
    Too big fonts and even small. Lacks on presentation parameter. The layout seems to be fine.

Remove Ads