Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Please check out my site: http://www.explorewebhosting.com. It's still a work in progress, but I am trying to see if anyone has major usability issues. It's mainly a web hosting review site where users can review their host and search for new ones -- But the site also offers articles, tutorials, and product reviews.

The site also allows the user to search by specific criteria that they are looking for in a host by using the "advanced search" link.

Any comments/criticism is greatly appreciated.

If you like the site please take a minute and review a web host that you have used or currently use. Thanks!

Member #
    I like the site for the most part. I'm not a big fan of Wordpress (not this theme either) but you made it work for you.

It loads pretty slowly just fyi.

Member #
    You're the second person to say this is a Wordpress theme. I'm not running Wordpress. Where did you see the theme at? Just curious.

How long did it take to load? I'm wondering if I should switch from my shared hosting account to a VPS account. Would that make the site load faster?

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Web Des
    I like the site for the most part. I'm not a big fan of Wordpress (not this theme either) but you made it work for you.

It loads pretty slowly just fyi.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    your title do not reflect the pages content. the drop-down sub left blocks the right unless you point away. i see pictures that take up room without adding enough to the aesthetics to justify taking up so much space. and i didnt see any <noscript. you have a home button next to text that says "contact", confused about that. log in / register is not in a place that many will notice in the 15 seconds you have before they leave. lots of scrolling and very little relative content. but cs4 sure does have neat toys doesnt it.
    http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35769

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Thanks for the review, although your writing is atrocious and I'm not sure about half of what you are saying.

Fixed the menu.

you have a home button next to text that says "contact"
    What? Where?

I might implement the no script, but honestly if someone isn't running scripts I do not care if they're visiting my site or not. :-p

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    yes i cant spell. good thing for me code is another language. that helped a lot when i wrote my own spell check scrip, funny stuff. i guess without SEO practices people will just happen upon your site by a tv commercial? and if you didnt see what i saw, take a look at it in ff 3.5 . dont get me wrong, its a nice site. but you did submit for review. im sorry if i misunderstood.

Member #
    You are correct, I did submit for a review, but did you see anywhere in the post where it said "include smart-*** remarks."?

The site has been somewhat optimized for SEO. Almost every single page has a descriptive title tag. I have used Yslow and SenSEO to anaylze the site. Yslow gives me a 74, which isn't entirely great, but it's not bad either. SenSEO gives me on average an 84 depending on keywords used. I am trying to increase site load speed also by moving to another provider. The shared server I am on isn't doing so hot and I'm in the process of moving everything over to a VPS.

I am also running Firefox 3.5.7 as my main browser. I have also checked it in Chrome, Opera, IE, and Safari -- all with no problems. What type of box are you on (win, mac, linux)? Do you have a screen shot of what you are talking about?

Impudent comments aside, thanks for the critique and pointing out some good things I need to change.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    lmao. yes i can be a bit "Impudent" at times. the reason for <noscript> is google. all of the content you have in the dynamic banner is wasted. your site is of a trendy demographic and you are going to need even that little bit of extra content. if you arent worried about folks without js then you could just <noscript all of the panes onto the page so google gets all of that. i did run some of your pages by a meta analyzer and it scored 100% on some pages, it did not score that well on all of them. the home/contact i guess is intentional because you have on each page the page name next to that home button, its a little confusing. i would float the page id to the right or at least a little more space then you have now to give a better visual separation.

i am running
    ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala/ausus eee pc 900/ff 3.5
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Could you take a screenshot of what the site looks like on your browser? I;ve attached what it looks like on my box with FF3.5.7.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorky
    lmao. yes i can be a bit "Impudent" at times. the reason for <noscript> is google. all of the content you have in the dynamic banner is wasted. your site is of a trendy demographic and you are going to need even that little bit of extra content. if you arent worried about folks without js then you could just <noscript all of the panes onto the page so google gets all of that. i did run some of your pages by a meta analyzer and it scored 100% on some pages, it did not score that well on all of them. the home/contact i guess is intentional because you have on each page the page name next to that home button, its a little confusing. i would float the page id to the right or at least a little more space then you have now to give a better visual separation.

i am running
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    um, yeah. i did. right above your post. minus the banner. i was looking at it with js off at the time i took it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads