Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Ok, i come up with a new design approach for this new subdomain that i hope is more contemporary. I don't really like it, but others seem to favor it over the original design. I miss the original design... What do you guys think?

http://lawfirm.ionisis.com/

I am, notoriously, NOT a designer. Period. So i cannot understand what the competition is doing right, that i am doing wrong. I spent a day examining their sites, and i noticed that they had some common traits:

*) Almost NO text on the page! A paragraph, maybe two, 4 short paragraphs at the most.
    *) A LOT of images! I hate images, and feel that they clutter up the real content....
    *) "ORDER NOW!", All over the page. That seems like you are harassing the visitor, to me.....

As you can tell, i'm obviously not much for marketing either. So i am trying a new combination of page elements:
    *) A SINGLE image (not a whole bunch of them), that attempts to quickly convey what the site is for, and what to do next
    *) A reasonable amount of text, to explain the same
    *) Some sample images (probably not the best idea, the way i'm doing it, though...)

So, i'm gathering feedback on this approach, and i'm running it for a couple of weeks to see where it gets me...

I just KNOW that there is a magic combination of on page elements that will catch and keep the user's interest and confidence. I just wish i could figure out what the heck that combination is! Until then, it's trial and error.

Thanx!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've never seen a website on such a topic - it was interesting to look through! What concerns design - I think that it is not necessary to improve anything in it.

Member #
    I liked the site , the topic , the customer focus every thing is perfect . Th esite concept and way it is communicated is awesome.

Member #
    i noticed that they had some common traits:
    Yes. Badly designed.

Off the web, the penalty for badly designed brochures, ads or a business place is failure. The low cost of web design guarantees you'll be seeing the lowest common denominator drag on year after year.

Common practices of mediocre and worse websites does not turn them into best practices. One reason monkey-see monkey-do web design doesn't work.

I am, notoriously, NOT a designer. Period. .....i'm obviously not much for marketing either.
    Keep this in mind.

"ORDER NOW!"
    What kind of law firm pages have you been looking at, ones with a drive through window?

Now you've provided a lot of thumbnails and no way to identify which one, so I'm going to say "that one." Which pretty much is as infuriating as you're making the user with some of the designs. If you can't be bothered to learn interaction design, at least put "example A, B, C" marking the thumbs to help reviewers trying to help you.

Common failings of all of these examples is the assumption of stock photos instead of actual photos. law-firm-3.3.png the right hand column could be for picture, name, and backgrounder. Problem with law-firm-3.3.png is the generic header wastes space better used for informing users.

People aren't hiring a warm body to sit in a chair and bill them. You hire a lawyer to win in court. Not name, rank or serial number is going to tell the user what they want to know like win rate.

Whether it is commercial real estate law or wills, there's a chance it'll end up in court.

Forget the old layout, and check out the archived Quinn Emanual site. Put a layout around that.

And for cryin' out loud, take photos of the lawyers and clients and put them on the site. (No, I don't care what the budget was).

Member #
    Hmmm, well, thanks for the feedback. I'm reading through your site right now to see if i can learn anything from it...

Remove Ads