Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Doing a site for a nonprofit... they wanted a nice simple, mellow site. Here's what I whipped up as my initial site layout/color scheme.

Any and all comments welcomed, I like to get things as good as I can from the beginning so I don't ever have to start from scratch again

edit: and how I get frustrated at those 'tards who forget links: http://www.rfsmusic.com/misc/initial.jpg
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Overall, I think you're acheiving your aim pretty well.

The only think that I think could do with some work is the logo - it looks very... texty, if that makes any sense at all. Although it sohuld be very plain, there's something about the alignment and composition of the logo which isn't quite right - I wouldn't say that if i didn't know that you can do better

Anyway, thats my $0.000002

Ollie
    Hardly the sharpest thing in the drawer.
    Design | Life | Outdoors | Ryukin Radio

Member #
    I agree, nice simple design, but the logo could be a little more fancy without looking tacky or not fitting in with the design.

Are green and yellow the colors the foundation specified? I like the green, but I'm on the fence about the yellow. :ichatangel:

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yes, their company colors are cream and green... but of course I could be a bit leanient... do you suggest any other color?

Member #
    I'm probably the wrong person to be giving color scheme advice, but I definately think the color should be something light (like you have). Either a ligher shade of the color you have or maybe even white would look good, but once it's thrown in there I could be totally wrong. Feel free to post alternatives for our 2 cents.

Member #
    Well they dont have the best colors, but you can't choose that:classic:

Im going to agree with everyone else work on the header or logo whatever you call it, something isnt quite right, but the website overall is suited for the foundation your building it for.
    regards,
    robc

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Okay, as per spluffdaddy's request I just changed the main color up a bit and threw some up:
    http://www.rfsmusic.com/misc/initial_lighter.jpg
    http://www.rfsmusic.com/misc/initial_grey.jpg
    http://www.rfsmusic.com/misc/initial_white.jpg

All of these will be with black text and as you can see I screwed up the menu's a bit because I don't know what's going there exactly yet...

I'm still trying to come up with some ideas for the header as I 100% agree with you guys there... I'm thinking perhaps putting either a nice nature scene, or some "happy" people in the same green colo kind of fading away underneath the text... but have yet to find any images I deem suitable

Thanks for the input and keep it comin! I'll be workin on this and hopefully have the layout semi-finalized by wednesday(next meeting).

edit: kickass, I broke all 3 links.

Member #
    The header ideas you have sound cool, I'm eager to see those. As far as the three colors you posted, I'd have to vote against the gray one right off the bat, because it doesn't contrast with overall gray bg enough. The lighter yellow is an improvement, but for some reason whenever I see a site with a yellow background it reminds me of the awesome website designs we saw 7-8 years ago when everyone thought they could design a website. But that's just me of course. I'd have to say it's between the lighter yellow and the white. That's my 2 cents. :-p

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I had a similar problem with a website that I designed for a non-prof: they also wanted a yellow background. I have no idea why, but it's what they like.

Try using the shade I did in the bg below:

http://www.chinds.org

It's light, the text is still legible on it, and it also goes very well with their offline printed material (since I scanned in the material and extracted the exact background colour using the eyedropper tool in Photoshop.) Don't know if it'll help you, but it might.

As far as the overall layout goes, it's definitely very simple (which I like). I think it'd turn out to be a very clean site (which I also like). My only suggestion would be to use a different font for The Gates Recovery Foundation and other words. You'll likely use Verdana in the body, and the header and menu should if possible distinguish itself so that people know where they're supposed to click. My suggestion would be a sans-serif still, but like a News Gothic or something.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    If you're going to do a 'Nature Scene' as you suggested, I personally quite like the effect that the font Tanglewood Tales gives. Take a look - I think i found it on 1001fonts.com but if you can't find it I'd be happy to dig it out.

Ollie
    Hardly the sharpest thing in the drawer.
    Design | Life | Outdoors | Ryukin Radio

Remove Ads