Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Okay, I tried it from scratch and it sucks a$$! Think of your very first website and I think I out uglied it by about a factor of ten. The damn thing looks like a big grey foot.

The horror:

http://mm.vellosoft.com

So I ask you, kind WDF where next? Could the blue / grey color scheme work with a better layout? Is it just the ugly tabs or is there more to it? And yes I know I received a few suggestions to go with text hyperlinks instead of the tabs, I'm not being hard headed, but I have seen some cool sites with tabs before. What am I missing that they have? (Artistic merit I heard some one say? Well, what I might lack for in that I'll try to make up for with brute force and determination.)

Well, maybe you can give me a link to a site with tabs that does it well. I'd like to not completely overhaul, maybe just a few helpful suggestive tweaks.
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

I was always partial to this style, and maybe if you rounded off the edges that would "tabilize" it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    That's pretty cool, it's kinda weird that the first row of tabs don't even have lines that connect, it almost looks like text art, I'm guessing what we're looking at is web design with the PDA in mind.

That would be a different direction to take, another row for the tabs underneath the logo instead of what I was trying to do with a big tab and then the little tabs all in a row.

Hmmm . . . Good link, a little too stoic for what I'm trying to do, but a good link nonetheless.
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Erhm... it's not bad at all Just kind of bleh. Make the tabs more "tablike" (Heh.. that's a load of help ) and try some differnt colored text and liven it up somehow (sorry can't be more descriptive, but graphics ain't exactly my strong point )
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    I would agree that the tabs need a more natural look, but I also think that changing the gray bg to white would be a good improvement. The blue text isn't the easiest to read, but black text wouldn't be that much better on the gray bg. Black text on a white bg would be much easier to read. Formatting the text and putting it into some columns with slim outlines could be cool too.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    LOL. It's not as bad as you make it out to be. Just fine tune it. Add to it. Enhance it

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    LOL...I almost lost it with the "big gray foot" comment.

Actually you've got a good start. In my opinion it's just a little too bland. You've got a great piece to center your site around. I'd try to incorporate the "miniminder" window into the design. Adding some depth would greatly improve your design. Keep going...you'll get it.

Member #
    Okay, I had to put it down for a couple days so I could come back to it fresh and I ditched some of the ideas I had been clinging on to.

Basically, what I then ended up doing is to try just about everything suggested here in this thread, and guess what? It looks a whole heck of a lot better:

http://mm.vellosoft.com

1. The big grey foot just had to go!

2. The toes, er tabs, have now been replaced with text hyperlinks.

3. Grey background now changed to white.

4. Great suggestion - I incorporated one piece of the MiniMinder program into the site design itself, the background of the skin was put into the gradient on the logo up top. I'm also trying to think of other bits that could be taken from the program screenshot and incorporated into the page as well.

Well, I think I've graduated from HORRRR - IBLE to at least halfway decent. The suggestions came in real handy, and of course, any new feedback on the revamped design will be greatly appreciated, also.
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Wow!!! I'd say you've improved the overall design at least 75%. I was pleasantly surprised by the way you used the horizontal lines in the header...nicely done. I was actually thinking that you should take the button from the program and use it in your navigation, and do rollovers to one of the colors on the upper right. I know it's a standard os x ripoff, but why not? It worked for Apple. Can't wait to see more...

Member #
    Definately an improvement. The top right looks a little weird, because it has a hard edge, where on the left side the banner blends in. As for the design, I think the only thing I dont like about it is that everything is centered. It's not a major issue, just not something I'm used to I guess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads