Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I have completely changed my website after getting loads of useful advice from these forums, thanks everyone!

I'd love to hear any comments, suggestions, criticisms about the site which is at www.weddingphotographernorthampton.com

For reference, the original version of the site is at www.paintedbylight.co.uk

Please bear in mind that I am a mid-priced wedding photographer, I have no budget for web design and I am a beginner in this whole website building / SEO business.

Having said that, don't treat me with kid-gloves, i need this site to work.

Again, huge thanks to all who helped me out previously and in the future!

Gary

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There isn't anything for the search engines to look at. No text. The only traffic you will get will come from direct links. More to come, gotta goo for now.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    yeah, i second that. it looks great but search engines will not index this well if at all. look into <noscript>

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Wow! that site wedding photography site is Flashy. I like it. But yeah there's no text to crawl by search engines. I don't know if that matters to you though.

Member #
    completely changed my website
    Hard to believe it's worse.

Clicking Clients does not take you to a thoughtful page artfully done to aid credibility -- you are taken offsite tohttp://www.instantmemories.co.uk/

You're done. Hire a designer.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DC856
    Hard to believe it's worse.

Clicking Clients does not take you to a thoughtful page artfully done to aid credibility -- you are taken offsite tohttp://www.instantmemories.co.uk/

You're done. Hire a designer.
    Well, thanks for your comments, but I have to point out that instantmemories is a site used by wedding photographers to fulfill print orders, it's normal and used by thousands of pro photographers, unless you know better? The customer orders the prints themselves, not through me. It was also a link on my previous site, so it hasn't changed - as opposed to"it's worse"

Also, I'd love to hire a designer, but I made it clear in my original post that I don't have any money for this, yet.

Thanks for spending some time on it, but a little more info on why it is worse would be great.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, in your case, the most important aspect people will want to know about you is your work. Fortunately for you, you can display that visually on your site. Other occupations, not so easy. I don't think linking to another site will kill you though, but it won't help, but for obvious reasons, I know why you did it. I wouldn't call it clients though, maybe "Get my Pix" or something like that. "Clients" leads me to believe I'm going to read or view something about your clients... confusing when I got there.

I think the flash is a little slow. They want to see your work in rapid fire. This needs to be done on the home page. Don't wait to take them further to view a nice chunk of your work. That's all they care about for the first 20 seconds. I would suggest more of a collage with clickable pics.

Services page- why hide the pricing? First you say everybody is different, which implies you don't have any kind of price list, then you say email us for a price list. That ain't gonna work. If I go to another site and like their work and they have their price list, then I'm going to go to them.

You really do nice work and I like the gallery page (a dreamweaver plug in?) As mentioned before, the flash will not allow anybody to find you through a search. I really think an html site would have served your needs not only through search, but for functionality as well.

Nice work though.

Member #
    Why does "clients" take you offsite? The service might be widely used, but this convention is not. Clients usually signals you will find testimonials.

Gallery doesn't really look as much like the rest of the site, either. Yes, it has a black background. It doesn't have the nav or other elements.

Are you using a hybrid HTML/Flash page as part of completely changing it? No. It's still the one Flash object, as far as I can tell. You hope the added text will get you ranked.

The abomination of seach engine spam at page bottom isn't any more readable -- it looks even worse -- like a ransom note.

You do not write your site copy for google. Ever. You write for conversions, and how people search -- never for search engines. You didn't do that.

The blog takes its sweet time loading, and, lo and behold, also doesn't look much like the rest of the site either. Whatever traffic you get, count on losing them on conversions. Every other page tells users they've been taken offsite. No explanation, no reason, no logic to it.

it's normal and used by thousands of pro photographers
    How many pro customers are there that know this? For one thing, if you can't style a service like this you style your site to look like that one -- so there's no jarring change. Next, you tell the user what's happening and properly label the link to explain what's going to happen. You didn't.

It isn't completely changed, so you're fiddling around the edges in a futile hope your rank will improve. Good luck with that.

I don't have any money for this
    Get used to it. Wasting your time is bad. Wasting mine is worse.

Member #
    Since I mentioned that I had no budget for web design in my original post, it would seem you're wasting your own time by not reading thoroughly!

Still, I'm grateful all the same.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mr sus***

Having said that, don't treat me with kid-gloves, i need this site to work.
    If you need this site to work, then you need to make some changes or start over again. You do great work, don't let your website hinder getting new business.

I think both of us have revealed some glaring roadblocks with your site that won't require you to hire a designer to fix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads