Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I created a website for my family to keep up with me as I am in the military and travel around the world. Perhaps a little feedback on what you think?

I also created a 2nd section to my site which is my portfolio.( http://www.jordanemery.com/portfolio ) I just created this part of my site and wanted to know if someone with a little portfolio experience can check this out. Its a site that gives advice and tips along with my portfolio of projects including website, photography, etc. Thanks for the help.

Jordan

jj1
    Member #
    My first - negative - impression was that I didn't know what the site was about. Your top visual didn't tell me. IMO take out he big searh box - or position less prominently - and put some form of website "slogan" - a 1 or 2 line phrase that sums up your website and tells the reader why it's worth reading. For example, for my own web design site, my slogan is "attractive affordable websites / Search engine optimised"
    With your graphic design page, don't list the designs as hyperlinks - show small visuals of them and then hyperlink these pics to a new page or - if skills allow - use some form of picture gallery so that hovering on a thumbnail brings up a large picture with text. Also, when I click on a design, your menu options all disappear.
    Hope this helps you.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi! I can advice you to change the backgroung of the upper part of the main page from vinous color to dark juicy green - it will be much better appropriate for the color scheme of the site then, I think.

Member #
    I changed the color of the green in the leaves to a darker deeper green. I agree, it does look better already. A little more tweaking may be good though.

I took out the search box all together as recommended and replaced it with a logo type. I don't really like creating "logos" for website because they are somewhat of of date. Create the template to blend with the logo seems more modern. I'm going to play with this a little more to find the best results. Check it out though and tell me if this is better if you don't mind. Thank you for your inputs. I really appreciate the negative comments as well because they show me areas I need to improve on. Non of us are perfect and I'm for sure an amateur. By the way, take a look at this page, would images like this be ok... Home>Media>Photos. Click on a category and from there click on images. I shrunk the images to a very small size but maintained quality. Did this for faster load times and still maintain photo quality. Good? Bad?

I also deleted the Portfolio section. I want to work on my main site before starting to advertise other projects. Should have done that in the first place.

Can I get an update on your opinions now with the fixes? Thanks for your time and help.

Jordan

Member #
    I like the changes you have made to the site. The background really fits the theme of the site. Everything flows well. The Logo (if you want to call it that) blends well into the background image. Good luck to you and safe travels. Thank you for your military service.

Member #
    The images on the page don't seem to have much padding -- the text is right up against them. Fix that, fix all the little punctuation errors, and you should be good to go.

Remove Ads