Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.8 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.8 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.8 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I am a recent graduate with a degree in Web Design. I just finished interning for a company called DealerFire and currently work their full time handling most of the clients support requests for site updates and changes, as well as Search Engine Optimization.

I am looking for a design oriented career as it is my first true love. If you are interested in my design skills please leave me some feedback via e-mail or on this post after visiting my website.

http://www.justinfriebel.com/

Thanks,
    Justin Friebel

Member #
    Not that it's terrible or anything but I find the whole design a bit too random. You've got some paper pinned to a notice board with some grass and a swirly pattern behind it. Then as far as I can make out from your content you have a degree and you work for a company that works with car dealers.. What's the purpose of me being on your site? Yes there's a few ways to contact you but you don't say why anyone should. You need to rethink What you've wrote and write about why someone would bother hiring you hope this helps

Member #
    Hi,

i check out your website:

1. The design concept is creative which is good, but there is no common theme, it is all a bit random but the layout is good, so simply need to change the style.

2. The website does not have a services page, this is probably one of the most important pages as you will be able to document the services you provvide clearly rather than the user having to search your website for information.

3. The portfolio contain links to your CV, I think you should move this to the contact page or put the example work first.

4. The twiiter button does not work

5. The bog skin looks good

hope this helps.....

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Justin, a few specific details that might help you improve in general:

1. The black & white sunburst background is WAY to high-contrast, and really hurts the eyes, especially at the logo, which should be the main point of interest. You should apply the sunburst as a faded blending layer over some other background. Given the grass footer, I'd say you should go with a blue gradient behind, hinting at a sky. Here's a good example of a sunburst placed over a textured background: http://www.cash4grillz.com/

2. The grass should not be translucent. It should be 100% opacity, so it doesn't look like "ghost grass". Also, the texture should continue below the grass for continuity, or the grass should "snap" to the bottom of the browser. Right now, I get a huge flat green space at the footer of your site, which is not very attractive.

3. The corkboard & paper, although cute, is done a lot... and WELL. If you're going to go with that imagery, attention to detail is very important. Some important failures of yours: drop shadow of the corkboard makes it look like a postcard floating 1cm off the bg. Drop shadows are important cause they convey depth. The texture makes yours look like a 6" x 4" piece of corkboard (due to scale), which conflicts with the notebook paper on top of it. The paper also has no shadow on the corkboard, which conflicts with the shadow on the BG and the button shadows on the corkboard. The yellow paper looks unfinished... like you didn't want to bother with the detail. The border of the corkboard also looks weird. Is it supposed to look like a 1mm thick strap of aluminum? Never seen anything like that on a corkboard...

4. The fonts all look like they were not thought-out. And the border on your name isn't working at all. Rethink all the fonts.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    By the way, here's a blog post with links to lots of really great textural sites. Try to derive some inspiration from these:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009...rn-web-design/

Member #
    Thanks for the tips Steven. I lightened the sunburst using a light blue. I added some white behind the logo so not to take away from it. The paper and folder now have drop shadows.

I had a drop shadow on the cork board because a real cork board doesn't usually sit tight against a wall, they usually are hanging off a little. I did remove it though but am not sure if I like it without.

The grass was an idea I just threw out there, I wasn't really sure what people would think about it. It could have been better had I spent some more time making it more realistic. I tried researching how to "snap" a div to the bottom of a browser but couldn't find any solutions. If you know of one I wouldn't mind knowing!

The twitter button doesn't work because I don't have a link on it yet because I have yet to find use for a twitter account, facebook seems to be enough for me atm.

PS - Steven, now that you said the cork board is cute and done a lot I am not so sure I want it on my site and am brainstorming different ideas :-p

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    honestly, i liked it better before.

For the background, try a blue gradient like the one at www.uroomsurf.com and put the sunburst over top of it with a soft like blend mode and 30% opacity.

For the corkboard, don't eliminate the drop shadow, but make it look like the corkboard is against the bg instead of floating on top of it. That means you'll have to draw it in manually... layer effect drop shadow won't do it right.

Drop shadow on the other things is not quite right, either. Do some research on shadow tutorials to learn how to create realistic-looking shadow effects.

And i still don't like the folder thing. It doesn't look like a folder. It's kinda out of place.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hey Justin,

Just a couple of thoughts

The cork board doesn't have any depth, so it looks awkward. You should make it more 3 dimensional, and give it a shadow (as previously mentioned)

The design kind-of looks like it was designed while you were zoomed-out. Everything just looks too large. It's alright, that seems to happen with newer designers (I know I had that problem).

Make your fonts consistent. I'm counting 3 fonts on pages with little content, plus the fonts in the social networking logos. This makes your design look more random. On that note use sans-serif fonts, as they're easier to read on a screen.

Your blacks are too black. Always make your blacks just slightly off of black. Try somewhere between #111111 and #333333.

On a personal preference, I don't like the paper analogy. You're looking for web design work, yet you're using paper elements for your interface. I just don't feel that it's appropriate for your image/target audience. I understand that a lot of people like this look, but I'm just not feeling it in this circumstance.

Finally, there's no call to action until you get to the contact page (assuming someone actually bothers going there).

I can see that you have a style, now you just need to focus that style. Try working more off of your logo. I do like the logo, and I think that it can translate into a good concept for an interface.

Good luck!

Member #
    Hey Justin,

As far as design I found the background dynamic and eye catching. However as a portfolio I find it a lil bit eratic.

Typography is a huge part of design and I dont beleive you've really captured that with your design. Different target audiences require different font styles as they evoke different feelings about a site.

For example a Serif font, ie. fonts with small finishing strokes on the arms and stems of letters, are seen as tradition, regal, comforting, established, corporate, and suit older targets. However Sans Serif fonts are clean, fresh, crisp, easy to read and suit young targets.

Other example of typography include:
    Script/calligraphic: soft, flowing, suit older/senior targets
    Comic:Fun, relaxed, cartoon, suit young targets
    Handwritten:Rough, sketchy, suit young &teen targets
    Stencil:Army, often used for stamp icons, suit teen &adult targets
    Erodedistorted, horror, distressed, suit teen &adult targets

Another tip is to actually include image thumbnails of your previous work. This helps to keep your target audience interested.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It is truly fantastic design! Very lucky website - I'm going to visit it regularly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads