Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Suggestions and Tweaks Needed.

Hi.

I have four sections (don't know the terminology) on my front page.
    The top left will be "News".
    The bottom left will be "Updates".
    The top right, I do not know.
    The bottom right, might be "Affiliates".

The website is for a school with a forum.
    Any advice/suggestions as to what topic I should make for the top right? Maybe a poll? irate: :tired:

Member #
    While I make a thread, can you guys help me on these few things?

1) How can I add a date where it updates by itself?
    The webdesigner did not do it and told me it needs some java coding.

2) Where should I look for traffic counter, that shows visitor's IP and ISP, which page has most visits, and etc.? What do you guys recommend?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I think this would be one of these things that would depend on the nature of the site and its target audience. How about you whip up a layout and show us an opening page or a JPG sample?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Absolutely.

I need all the advice and suggestions I can get from all the Webdesigners here.
    http://www.CPInteract.com

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Okay, a few thoughts:

1) Colour. You need colour. I'm very depressed after looking at your site. I have the urge to listen to Leonard Cohen albums while eating compulsively, gaining weight, and polishing my shotgun and proclaiming that I am the Angel of Death and that the time of purification is at hand. Colours, man. We need some colours!

2) Your webmaster is incorrect. Displaying the date doesn't require Java. It requires one of Javascript (big difference) or a server-side programming language (ASP, PHP, something like that.)

The following code will insert the date into your site. Place it wherever you want the date to appear:
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    cur_date=new Date();
    document.write("Current Date/Time is ");
    document.writeln(cur_date);
    </script>
    3) The poll would have to be something relevant and not like some polls that just seem to be stuck up there to provide "interactive content". I have no problem with it being there, as long as this clause is met.

That's about all I can think of for now. It's a national holiday here in Canada so I'm braindead.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Originally posted by TheGAME1264
    [B]Okay, a few thoughts:

1) Colour. You need colour. I'm very depressed after looking at your site. I have the urge to listen to Leonard Cohen albums while eating compulsively, gaining weight, and polishing my shotgun and proclaiming that I am the Angel of Death and that the time of purification is at hand. Colours, man. We need some colours!

Hahaha. I see. I'll check up on that soon or later.

2) Your webmaster is incorrect. Displaying the date doesn't require Java. It requires one of Javascript (big difference) or a server-side programming language (ASP, PHP, something like that.)

The following code will insert the date into your site. Place it wherever you want the date to appear:
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    cur_date=new Date();
    document.write("Current Date/Time is ");
    document.writeln(cur_date);
    </script>
    Hey, thank you for the code!
    Now I need to figure out where to insert the codes on the html index.

3) The poll would have to be something relevant and not like some polls that just seem to be stuck up there to provide "interactive content". I have no problem with it being there, as long as this clause is met.
    I got an idea for the poll topics.
    So, can you also teach me the javascript code to have that on the top right of www.cpinteract.com ?

That's about all I can think of for now. It's a national holiday here in Canada so I'm braindead.
    Have a great holiday. Ours is coming this Friday. yay~!!

Please do not hesitate to post any advice, comments, and suggestions on the"Comments, Questions, and Suggestions" thread.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you're looking for usage statistics most hosts offer statistics as part of a package. If you're looking for a "counter" i would suggest against it...they're not very accurate.

Member #
    I agree with TheGame here, I think you need some color, the site doesn't have enough contrast. As far as what goes in the top right area of your site (or the middle as the posted link looks like), I think some more important news could go there, or you could highlight some areas of your site.

As far as a stats package, I would recommend this counter, which I use on my site. It's really easy to install, requires PHP, and keeps track of individual page views. It displays browser type, date/time, IP address and the referring page. Check it out!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    WOW SPLUF!!! Now that's a decent counter...I take back my last statement. Apparently, counters CAN be accurate if done correctly.

Member #
    This counter is the easiest thing to install. Here is a test counter I set up a little while ago, click on all.php to view the overall statistics for every page this counter is installed on (only "testing.php" right now). For a text-file based counter, this one's pretty good IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads