Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello,

We launched http://www.CanaDate.com on June 9th and have 300 members so far. Just curious as to what people here think of the design. We're thinking of giving it a facelift in a few days as well.

Thanks in advance.

Kanadian

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    looks great, except for the men of course

I like it a lot, my only suggestion is maybe put a bit of space between the quick search box and the footer.

I think Game1264 will be very interested in using this site
    JR

Member #
    thanks. Had the suggestion about the space from friends too.

btw..about the men..there are 11 random images that will come up, so it won't always be men. Gotta appeal to a broad range so it can't just be pretty women

Member #
    looks good!!
    i got a pretty lady on the homepage. yay.

i cant find anything wrong with it. except that the pictures background color can be seen if you look closely.

Member #
    I like it, only comment I have is regarding the pictures you have on the homepage. I refreshed the homepage to see some of the different images, and I noticed the same thing about all of them: they seem to have some hard edges. Feathering the selection may fix that. Otherwise, nice lookin' site.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Originally posted by JR
    looks great, except for the men of course
    That's not what I heard about you. I heard you were a big Elton John lookalike over in England there, buddy.
    Originally posted by JR
    I think Game1264 will be very interested in using this site
    I sure will! I just bet that for $9.00 Canadian, I can find the real life equivalent to my blow-up do...I mean...er...ex-girlfriend. Yeah. That's it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Ok, brace yourself for some negative feedback. Please don't take this the wrong way, because I think your site is really nice... I think you're just missing the target with it. Keep in mind that you're not targeting technology seekers or web design people. Your market is people looking for love. Keeping that in mind, you should start with "who is my market specifically", then "what are they looking for" and "what appeals to them", and progress to "what kind of look would make them click into the site?" I can tell you for a fact that no straight man would click into a dating site that has a picture of two men on the homepage. So you've now eliminated 1/11th of your straight community. Here are some other comments.
    • The palette choice is awful. To start with, it's this effeminate lavender color, and to boot, it's monochromatic, which is depressing depressing depressing! The colors will alienate men and depress women. Why not use Canadian red as your primary color? Red symbolizes both your country and love... it would be a good choice. Use it sparingly, though. Too much red can make a site seem very ominous.
    • The logo on the top left doesn't work for me at all. I don't like the color, the image of cupid, the lettering "canadate" in century gothic, or the vertical ".COM" None of it flows at all. It looks as if you were lost for a logo, and this was the first idea you came up with. Come up with another 5 (at least), then post them in the graphics forums for some fine tuning.
    • What's with the sphere on the top right with the Canadian flag and map of Canada? People aren't stupid - they'll know your site is targeting Canadians. If you MUST use imagery of Canada, limit it. Maybe the leaf alone... and incorporate it into your logo. It doesn't flow well with the banner image. One thing I noticed is that the leaf looks a little like a heart. Maybe you could come up with a logo that somehow incorporates the leaf and a heart together?
    • I don't like the horizontal lines in the banner. You're not a technology site. Why use techy imagery?
    • On to the navigation. I don't like it for your site. Again, it looks more tech-oriented. Your links should be bigger, graphical, and more playful. Also, try orienting them along the left hand side, because you don't have much content (or many links), so it will "fill out" your site a little more that way. Try making them about 200 pixels wide by 40 pixels high. Or keep them on top and make them bigger and graphical.
    • Your "first month free" banner needs some serious rethinking. First of all, I would put it at the bottom right of the site and shift your content up. The "close" is the last part of a sale. You're doing it first, which makes your site a "hard sale". That's the type of site people close immediately.
    • Regarding the look of the "first month free" banner, consider making it look like a "clip out coupon" that you get in mail-order advertisements. Put a thick dotted border around it (maybe even a half-image of scissors), and get rid of the leaf image. Also, make your text black and reorganize it.
    • The background color of the site should be white, and the text black. Make your text 10pt Arial, not 12pt Arial. 10pt is easier to read, believe it or not. Also, make your text black. While these changes may not look as nice graphically, they will make the text easier to read and will increase the amount of people who actually read it. If you them put compelling advertising copy in your text, you might even sell people on it!
    • The copy itself needs some rethinking. You're gonna sell people on the fact that they're finding other people in Canada. Don't just mention it. Tell people how hard it is to meet people online in Canada. Tell them that your service exclusively matches up people in or near Canada (you don't want to exclude people in the US who border Canada or Canadians who border the US).
    • Quick Search is fine, just move it up and put a link for the advanced search. If there isn't an advanced search, make one (so that "quick" search makes sense).
    • The rotating images are a big mistake, and here's why: No one will see all of them on their first visit to your site. The first impression is what will hook people. You want to present an image that will grab the largest part of your target market and hold their attention. This means picking ONE image that hits most of your market and putting it on your homepage. Not a black couple (what percentage of Canada is black?) Not two guys... you're not marketing to gay people exclusively. Not just a woman. Get a nice photo of an attractive white couple. Put the woman in something skimpy and the man in something sheik (think GQ). Make them late 20's or early 30's. This is your market.
    • Put the rest of the images that you have in your rotator on subsequent information pages. They will hit your minorities, but you want to get the majority with your primary image.

That's about it for now. Please think these things over and consider them.

Member #
    Wow Transio, that took me almost 6 minutes to read. Your very indepth. You could get payed for that kind of stuff! lol. Very nice
    I am a 13 year old graphics designer. I would love to make anyone who requests a logo for a price that we can discuss. I have taught myself how to make graphics. I made the winning entry for WebScalpel.com.

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Originally posted by SupraPorsche
    You could get payed for that kind of stuff!
    He does

LOL@Game, funny guy. I am too tired to think of a comeback to the Elton John comment though

Good on you Steve for the feedback, hope he takes it in after all that effort
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Good Lord Transio!!! I feel like I just read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Excellent suggestions though...another reason I'm glad that I joined this forum. I agree with the statement about the picture of the guys...if that popped up on my screen, it's getting closed. I like the overall layout you have, but it could be improved. Just doing everything that Transio mentioned will take you awhile.

...let's see how it looks after that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads