Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.5 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi,
    First -- thanks in advance for looking at the site.

www.helpspa.com

I'm a computer consultant and this site was originally built to provide answers to the questions that clients asked me over and over again. In fact, people asked me so many times that I began to create video tutorials in addition to the standard written ones that I had been used to doing.

I then started adding more and more content as people around kept asking me questions (you know -- you try to go to a party and someone says "Hey -- he can help you with that computer problem".

At this point the site is doing well and slowly growing. I was hoping people could take a look and tell me what I could do to:

1. get more people to ask for tutorial requests -- it's hard to make tutorials if I don't know what people out there want to learn

2. make people more inclined to sign up for my newsletter. I respect privacy and I keep it brief but I want to start to get a following for the site.

And of course, any criticism whatsoever is much appreciated so I can make the site better.

Thank you again for your time!
    www.helpspa.com
    Free Computer Advice, Help and Video Tutorials

Signup for Our Free Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/f4Xz

Member #
    Url not working...

Member #
    Wow! I'm not sure how that happened but thanks a million for letting me know.

It's www.helpspa.com
    www.helpspa.com

Member #
    Not much to comment on the design here, since you are using a Free Wordpress Theme with barely any customizations. That said, I am not a huge fan of that theme..

Member #
    It's interesting you say that -- most of the customization is in the code. I had a heck of a time finding a more advanced theme that stayed true to the WP codex. I tried many commercial premium themes (or at least their trials) and I found that the customization documentation was either unclear or non-existent -- and that even when I asked on the theme forums, the requests (for many users) went unanswered.

There were simple things that I wanted to do -- like alphabetize the titles of the posts on the category page. Something like this is easy to do with the codex, but was impossible when a theme was built on a code base with no docs.

So I agree that the theme is plain, but critical to me for this site was accessibility. I often head to sites where you can see the top 20 posts, for example, but past that -- there's no good archive or category system to see the big picture of what's actually on the site.
    www.helpspa.com

Member #
    Strange you say that. Because no matter how the theme is built if you are looking to do things such as alphabetize the titles on archive pages all you need to do is alter the loop/add some stuff to your functions file. something that can do to any theme.

Anyway, here is what I really think of the site:

-Social icons are blurry
    -Logo is pixelated
    -Navigation bar colors are lame and using text-underline over the links is also lame
    -Too many links on all your page
    -Put your sign-up form and other CSS on the external stylesheet
    -Way too much blank space in the back-end, reduce to help speed up your site
    -Good job at no-indexing your category pages
    -Homepage title-tag is WAY too Spammy
    -Your domain name makes no sense - sounds more like a blog about facials and mud-rubs
    -Lightbox pop-up is annoying and off-centered so if people have a small screen they wouldn't really see it. I am sure your bounce-rate is really high like 70% huh? Stop annoying your visitors. No one likes pop-ups.
    -Add some images to the video category list
    -No images anywhere on the site - try and add some so its less boring (Google Adsense does not count as images)
    -Why is there a pingback on your Contact page? You should remove the ability to comment here. And the contact form boxes dont really stand out in the white background

...etc

Member #
    Thank you for your honesty --

Strange you say that. Because no matter how the theme is built if you are looking to do things such as alphabetize the titles on archive pages all you need to do is alter the loop/add some stuff to your functions file. something that can do to any theme.
    There are many commercial tempates (and not commercial ones) that do not follow the codex. There are layers and layers of functions and it isn't always easy to implement WP functions/tags, etc.

Way too much blank space in the back-end, reduce to help speed up your site
    Did you mean on the home page or on article pages?

Good job at no-indexing your category pages
    I'm not sure what you mean here -- could you elaborate?

Thank you again.
    www.helpspa.com

Member #
    There are many commercial tempates (and not commercial ones) that do not follow the codex. There are layers and layers of functions and it isn't always easy to implement WP functions/tags, etc.
    You are right about this. As a wordpress theme developer I do see many themes that are done very sloppy. When customizing a WP theme I tend to scrape everything that has to do with wordpress out and add my own loops. You make a good point here.

Way too much blank space in the back-end, reduce to help speed up your site
    I mean in the source. If you open your template files you can delete some of the blank spaces to decrease the size of your files and increase your site's loading times.

Good job at no-indexing your category pages
    You are currently using the robots "noindex" tag on your categories which means they won't get indexed by search engines. This is a smart move because you currently only have links on those page and no valuable content. So there is really no point of having them indexed.

Member #
    Got it -- thank you again.
    www.helpspa.com

Member #
    It's more simple. You should have some pictures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads