Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    5.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey guys. Take a look at this site. I designed it to look more personal than professional. We get a lot of hits but not too many serious visitors. Any advice would be appreciated. I know that the HTML is a bit out dated.

Member #
    A good design is the best solution to make more visitors. Try it!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by andrebacher View Post
    A good design is the best solution to make more visitors. Try it!
    Any suggestions as to how it should be improved? Like samples for instance

Member #
    A couple things I can suggest:

The background color is very plain. I think you can jazz it up by using a repeating pattern in the background or by adding something simple like a couple of stripes along the side, and keep that consistent on every page. The pink is warm and friendly, and I think if you had a white background it would look even more plain, but the pink is not grabbing me. I would suggest a white-based background, maybe with pink pattern, etc. like I mentioned, if you really like the pink, then keep the number of text colors to 2 or 3, and have them all part of your general color theme.

Instead of continually scrolling and finding links like "click HERE for xyz," I HIGHLY suggest making a menu bar and sorting the pages by category. You can make menus with just CSS and HTML if you don't know how to use anything else, and any kind of menu you want to make can be learned through a google search, and you can of course get help by searching this forum. I think if you break everything up like that, your site will automatically take on a more modern and professional look, but you can still keep it more "personal" by your color and font scheme and layout.

Another big thing that stood out to me was the tables. All of your pages have tables that look very outdated. My own website utilizes tables, so I'm not saying they're "bad," just that you could customize them better I think. For example, on many pages, your table-borders and text are very similar in color to the background. This makes them look plain and unprofessional. I suggest using your color scheme (the 2-3 colors you choose for the whole site) and having one color for table borders and one for text (with headings a different shade or at least different font, style, or size), and keeping those consistent throughout the site.

I have found that good menus, minimal scrolling, a clear color scheme/pattern, and consistency of color/size/font/etc. throughout the site makes even the most basic website look better.

I hope that was helpful. I am a novice designer myself, so those are just a few things I have learned as I've started designing.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by WordSmith10 View Post
    A couple things I can suggest:

The background color is very plain. I think you can jazz it up by using a repeating pattern in the background or by adding something simple like a couple of stripes along the side, and keep that consistent on every page. The pink is warm and friendly, and I think if you had a white background it would look even more plain, but the pink is not grabbing me. I would suggest a white-based background, maybe with pink pattern, etc. like I mentioned, if you really like the pink, then keep the number of text colors to 2 or 3, and have them all part of your general color theme.

Instead of continually scrolling and finding links like "click HERE for xyz," I HIGHLY suggest making a menu bar and sorting the pages by category. You can make menus with just CSS and HTML if you don't know how to use anything else, and any kind of menu you want to make can be learned through a google search, and you can of course get help by searching this forum. I think if you break everything up like that, your site will automatically take on a more modern and professional look, but you can still keep it more "personal" by your color and font scheme and layout.

Another big thing that stood out to me was the tables. All of your pages have tables that look very outdated. My own website utilizes tables, so I'm not saying they're "bad," just that you could customize them better I think. For example, on many pages, your table-borders and text are very similar in color to the background. This makes them look plain and unprofessional. I suggest using your color scheme (the 2-3 colors you choose for the whole site) and having one color for table borders and one for text (with headings a different shade or at least different font, style, or size), and keeping those consistent throughout the site.

I have found that good menus, minimal scrolling, a clear color scheme/pattern, and consistency of color/size/font/etc. throughout the site makes even the most basic website look better.

I hope that was helpful. I am a novice designer myself, so those are just a few things I have learned as I've started designing.
    OK thanks. I did the background and I am looking into the other suggestions

Remove Ads