Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi everyone,

I am creating a new school website for the local school. It will be a non-profit website and I am not charging them to make it.

I have never done a site of this nature and I was wondering if people could list some url's that would be a good design/look for an educational website

Any url's and comments will be much appreciated!!

Cheers

Terydinho
    "Everything_should be made as_SIMPLE_AS POSSIBLE, but NOT SIMPLER" - Albert Einstein

Member #
    You want Ideas for domain names, or URL's of existing sites??

Member #
    sorry,

url's of existing sites. I just want to draw on some ideas of simple html sites that are easy to update.

Although i usually use flash and the like, i need this one to be a plain and simple html, but its gotta look slick.

If anyone knows of any websites that do not use flash and have a nice simplistic design please post it here

cheers
    "Everything_should be made as_SIMPLE_AS POSSIBLE, but NOT SIMPLER" - Albert Einstein

Member #
    There are lots, if you want school websites, my school is:

http://www.st-peters.surrey.sch.uk/

As you see its not very good, they paid some company to do it (Probably a rip off price) and they did a shabby job, with a downloadable DHTML menu.

You can make even the most basic sites look great purely with images, I dont know much PHP (A little though), dont know Flash or anything. I can do a good site quite simply with Adobe Photoshop, and Dreamweaver. Just slice the image up, and there you go.

You probably want to go to the school and take some images of the kids, and the grounds and class room (Teachers Teaching) and stuff, this will add to the appeal of the site.

Member #
    to be honest, that sort of site is what i want to steer well clear of!!!

Its such a boring look, i want the one im doing to look vibrant and classy! I will be goin in some time next week and getting some nice shots of the school and pupils so the imagery will make the site i think!

Please anyone who knows a non-flash site that looks good and has a nice clean design to it, post the url now, i need divine insperation!

btw, i dont intent to rip these sites, i just wanna see what people think is a nice site so i can use the look and feel in my own design!!

cheers

Member #
    I don't know why, but your request reminded me of an old site that was posted for review. The look and feel was nice, and it wasn't overly complicated or flashy. The site's address is www.egtownhall.com , and here is the thread where we critiqed the site.

Member #
    Here is a site that I'm designing for my school. Just needs a few finishing touches.

Member #
    if you're designing a site for a public school in the US, remember that you have to at least try to comply with the Amercian's with Disabilities Act. Cascading Stylesheets are usually the best way to do this without getting overly complicated.

A rather in-depth tutorial is:http://www.westciv.com/style_master/.../css_tutorial/

and some great articles are located at a list apart. just click "previous" on the right hand side and you will get a list of all their previous articles. i highly recommend this site, as it gave me a lot of ideas for the last site i developed.

Member #
    thanks for that mate, its a school in the U.K. but i will still try to cater for users with disabilities.

If anyone wants to see a prototype of the site - it looks pretty bad at the moment bt it should improve!!

the url: http://www.sardesign.co.uk/st_johns/home_concept1.htm

let me know what you think

cheers

Member #
    Not a bad start. I think what it needs most is a little more color. Adding in the green from the shield would look nice. I also would recommend mouseovers for the nav.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads