Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi everyone! I have been designing since fall 2009 and this is my first, and biggest, website. I like it; it's functional, looks decent, and I worked hard on it. However, it isn't "flashy" enough for what the owners want.

I'm looking for any suggestions for how to make this site more modern, "cool," and really make it stand out. I have no PHP experience and very little Java and Flash experience. I am willing to learn, but am not sure where to start.

For example, people keep telling me I need to learn PHP -- but why? What will it add to my website? And I keep seeing some menus and applications using jQuery that I love, but can't seem to figure out the coding to make the changes I need. I'm just a novice, who's trying to get better.

Any help you can give specific to this website would be great!

Member #
    IPW Website.

Hey.
    After reading your post I thought I would offer my opinion. So here goes.
    Firstly, Nice work so far.
    I feel that the lower half of your website, from the different titles. Seems like the content is on the wrong side. So possible suggestions could be either having one consolidated feed with all the updates together or you could move the things like youtube clip + follow us links onto the right.
    As for the jQuery. If your interested I could show you the code so that when the mouse moves over the image. The image of the belt scrolls downward but pauses so it shows the text on the top of the image whilst revealing the picture behind. Leaving the user with a clear view of the wrestler and title. The theory behind this is you have three elements.
    1 border: which creates the viewing area.
    2 The hidden image.
    3 The visible image that moves to reveal the hidden image.
    Using jQuery and CSS (especial the overflow:hidden attribute)

Hope this is the sort of feedback you were after.

mje_design

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    hey

Hey,
    first thing I would do is set the boarders to 0 so you cant see them anymore.
    I would also maybe think about keep the page dimensions to about 800x600 pixels wide so it can be accessed by people with different monitor sizes.
    All in all its a kick *** web site dude

Member #
    I have most of my borders set to 0, but a couple specifically set higher because I thought it looked funny with a 0... but I'll check it out and play around.

Yes, I'm having an issue w/ the width... I use a 24" monitor to set it up but then I check it on a Netbook with a 10" screen. So I make sure everything works on it, but I know there is an easier way to set the size/resolution than the trial and error I've been using. That's something I'm still trying to work on.

As for rolling over the belts -- yes, I would like to do something where the pics pull down instead of just replacing the belts. This was the only thing I knew how to do and we didn't have anything like it at all on the previous version of the website so it was a great improvement. I am actually thinking I'd like to make the belt images/table smaller and then make the pictures larger when rolled over -- I recently learned how to do that so wanted to play around with it. But I would definitely be interested in learning the method you're talking about.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Member #
    Interesting but the background is too dark..
    Murali
    http://www.evhub.in/forum Forum for Electric vehicles Enthusiasts
    http://ww.evhub.biz Media portal for Electric vehicles

Member #
    - Keep the size at 1024x768. The number of people that still have a 800x600 is small and getting smaller everyday. Now saying keep your size to 1024x768 brings up a problem in that your size is just a little larger then 1024 and some scrolling is needed. If you use FF and download the Web Developer Toolbar there is a menu there than will allow you to set a viewing size so that your FF window will always be set at 1024x768.

- did you purposely distort your images? To make images load faster do not use HTML to size your images. Size them to the correct size in a program like PhotoShop.

- overall nice job, a fairly big site and lots of content

- create a favicon

- use padding so that the text does not go right up to the edges.

- using a MAC and FF the content on the right is pushed to the bottom. Create a little margin space on your text boxes to prevent this. Everything looks a little jammed together. 'White space' (doesn't have to white) is important for a readable web site.

Member #
    Thanks for your list of suggestions rickzwebz! I am slowly going through and making some changes to graphics, layout, etc. Can you please tell me what a favicon is? I could google it, and probably will, but since you brought it up would you mind explaining it?

And by "distort images," do you mean they are showing up weird due to resizing them?

Thanks again!

Member #
    A favicon is that little icon that shows up beside the url and if you have bookmarked a site shows up beside the link
    If you have photoshop you can download a plug in here Telegraphics - Free plugins for Photoshop & Illustrator...and other software

Your images look like the width has been stretched, not sure if this was an effect you were purposely doing. The images load fairly quick but would be quicker if they were the correct size and not have to go through HTML to fix the size. That is a very bad way to size a photo.

Member #
    OK that's what I thought you mean on both accounts. The rollover images of the belts/champions are stretched. I am trying to figure out if I can make the images of the champions enlarge when the belts are rolled over... which is why the pictures look funny now. In their regular state they look better. This was a change just made this weekend; the images before were sized appropriately. But knowing that at least one other person thinks they look strange right now, I will maybe put up a different image in the meantime until I can figure out if I can make them enlarge.

Thanks!

Remove Ads