Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: reveiw

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.3 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.7 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi,
    My friend asked me to make him a nice straightforward web site for his business. I am waiting for more pictures for the slideshow. He has secured his first customer who wants their pictures on the web to show distant relatives. I would be glad for any opinions.
    Thanks

Member #
    Personally for me, I thought the design looked a little dated.
    Also a lot of the images appear grainy and fuzzy, plus the attempted cut out of the little girl on the contact form looked terrible.
    As it's a photographers website I'd look to get those updated ASAP.
    As you're trying to sell his service you need good pictures on their to help the cause!

Also in Firefox for the mac, for me there was a small problem on the homepage with some overlapping text.
    If you need to check out what your site looks like in other browsers (and can't check using the actual thing) I'd suggest using something like browsershots.org to give you an idea of what it looks like.
    Mike Barlow
    WDF Co-Owner

Need help? PM Me!

Member #
    Thanks,Mike
    I'm not sure what 'old fashioned' means. Customer wanted a straight forward site with no bells and whistles. That's what he got. Anyway, I don't go in for Flash etc.Google does not like it nor do I.
    I take what you said about the pictures but I am entirely in his hands on that.I use what he gives me. I have to put a hundred in the visitors section this week so we'll see.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
    Thanks,Mike
    I'm not sure what 'old fashioned' means. Customer wanted a straight forward site with no bells and whistles. That's what he got. Anyway, I don't go in for Flash etc.Google does not like it nor do I.
    I take what you said about the pictures but I am entirely in his hands on that.I use what he gives me. I have to put a hundred in the visitors section this week so we'll see.
    You should insist on him providing quality images then, would benefit ALOT!
    Mike Barlow
    WDF Co-Owner

Need help? PM Me!

Member #
    This site will cost him, and if you are trying to sell your services, you business. It look like 1989 web style. Sure he has supplied the images, but you have showcased them very poorly, whats with the "wooden" frames? there are so many cool jquery gallerys out there you could use. The pictures look compressed and grainy, which I presume is caused by the way you have resized them. And loose the flash header its horrible and annoying. You have a lot of work to do to make this site appeal to potential clients of his or yours.

edit: and why is every page so wide and long?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I usually try to be kind as well as honest in my reviews - but it seems to me that you need to learn a little bit about coding before you go forward with this project. You will torpedo your friend's business, otherwise, and if you expect to use this site as a part of a portfolio you will not get any business from it.

You are using a "complete web design package" software (I won't name it here, but it is clearly visible to anyone who takes a look at your source code) that says it will do everything for you. But DO NOT think that software can design! It can put elements together for you but you have to have a good sense of what and how you want things to look and function.

If you don't want to learn how to code, that's OK. It's not easy for everyone. But do yourself and your friend a favour then, and go find a nice template somewhere that you can modify to make a decent showcase for his photographs. And insist that he give you better quality photos - if what is on the site now is the quality he is offering then that would be one of the first issues I would resolve, before spending any time going further.

I think you sincerely want to help him, and I do hope you take this the right way - I know it is hard when you're starting out but keep at it and learn all you can and you will only get better.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    No,I don't take it the wrong way and I did use Serif as many programmers do.Thanks for advice

Remove Ads