Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Rocketfish

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Just had our web site redesigned. Because if the industry we are in we decided to go completely retro which we felt was fairly bold given the industry is still very new and cutting edge. However this post is less about the company and the industry and more about the designers who I think have done a great job.

Member #
    On issue on accessibility is that your web site is missing a lot of content if I turn stylesheets and images off. Some links become hidden because there is no "alt" text assigned to images. This makes it difficult for people who are using screen readers or may be viewing your web site in a mobile-like browser. Those are potential customers you may not be reaching because the appropriate content is not being shown.

It is also not very good SEO to be missing alt text. You miss out on potential keywords.

I love the textures and the imagery, they are very well done. The layout of the web site is a less impressive. The site navigation is almost hidden away in the textures and small font size. If the font was more bold and/or of a larger size, I would be more inclined to click on other pages.

Also, the logo image should definitely be clickable back to the homepage. As simple as it may seem to just hit the "Home" link at the top, its much too small - the logo is a much easier button to press, if it were one, nonetheless the easiest to find on the page.

Member #
    Site Feedback

Hi Thanks for the feedback - we are still tinkering with things and adding new pages - alt tags were supposed to be in place so will check that.

Member #
    I am actually digging the old school look - reminds me a lot of Fallout (the video game).

-I think the navigation at the top can be improved. Maybe having some tags that look like bookmakers that pop-out when hovered over?

-The green background on the pages looks like Baby Poo. I think a creamy white could look nice.

- I like the hover over on the sidebar links - can we make this also the look of the active link?

- I think it would be nice to have the logo clickable to take you back to the homepage as this has become pretty standard on most sites.

- The back-end is really clean...But I would move the Google Analytics code down right before the closing body tag (no need to load it so early).

- Why not use the new doctype - <!DOCTYPE HTML> ?

Great work so far!

Member #
    really like the oldschool feel to the website, very different which in turn is also memorable.. Has a welcoming feel and I think you've done really well with the look and feel of the website.

I suggest making the main body text a bit larger.

Member #
    Looks wise... its makes me tingle down there. Very nicely done.

Remove Ads