Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: just launched

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi, I am new around here but I like the Forum layout. I have just put together a web hosting forum and the aim is to provide a simple forum to allow the exchange of tips and ideas for anyone hosting a website or many websites.
    The site setup is a basic phpbb forum,nothing special about that,trying to keep it simple, so no eye candy or bells n whistles here, but since this is a web design forum and there might be a few website admins and website hosting experts around here I thought I would ask for views and ideas about the content, such as categories, forums and so on.
    Please note that this is a new site and it will need some time to develop. Do I have too many categories to start with or not enough, are they the right ones ? Also feel free to join in the forum it's pretty empty right now (brand new) so it's a chance to get in at the start of something new. Thanks!

Member #
    Design-wise, I've always liked phpbb. Much more beautiful and accessable than vbulletin, I have found. It seems naturally better in this regard, so you're naturally off to a good start. However, I would get a new theme and stray away from the classic phpbb theme. It's not that hard to install at all, and I would consider customisation of your forum imperitive to both gain an identity and to also paint a good picture of the site in relation to the subject and purpose. A website about website design and hosting etc should be good and relatively unique in this area.

It could potentially be a good community, but you've got to get it off the ground and get a good solid community base. I'm not sure how to do that, apart from just plug your site at every opportunity. But please don't go spamming other forums. As a moderator at another forum it gets really annoying, and accomplishes nothing.

Member #
    Thanks for the feedback Diddy. I did try another theme much more suited to the subject, but there were some issues with the template and I had to revert back to prosilver, I like prosilver as it does what it says on the tin. But I am taking what you say as valid and will change the theme. Will only be posting on forums that allow website reviews so no worries there. I think it has potential but I don't want to lose sight of keeping it simple and sticking to the theme.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Diddy. I did try another theme much more suited to the subject, but there were some issues with the template and I had to revert back to prosilver, I like prosilver as it does what it says on the tin. But I am taking what you say as valid and will change the theme. Will only be posting on forums that allow website reviews so no worries there. I think it has potential but I don't want to lose sight of keeping it simple and sticking to the theme.
    Sounds good mate.

I'd still take the time to get a theme and get it working properly, but having a fully functional forum is the most important thing.

Good luck.

Member #
    Cheers. Just found another theme and about to upload and set it up Thanks.

Member #
    Cheers. Just found another theme and about to upload and set it up Thanks.
    Cool! Post here again when you've done that and I'll take another look.

Member #
    Done that new theme installed.

Member #
    Done that new theme installed.
    Not bad, but it seems you have done little to it apart from change the colour. It still seems like a prosilver-based forum.

Go here: phpBB • 3.0 Styles Demo
    and choose Hesita (Blue). IMO that would be a good choice.

Member #
    Thanks, I have uploaded and installed that theme, looks much cleaner and more in keeping with the theme. Thanks, will see how it goes.

Member #
    Hi all, I have now received several reviews for my site from different sources.
    I have made a few changes and would appreciate any feedback. I have also added an " Internet Storm Center" status at the top of the page, this is not just an image it is a live status.
    A few changes have also been made to the forum structure. Does the Logo look Ok and does the Internet Storm status indicator work . Please remember the site is directed at the hosting community Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads