Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.3 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello all!

I was hoping to get some feedback on a site I just finished and recently launched. There are some pages and areas (mainly, the blog portion of the site) that are "under construction" but, for the most part, it's pretty much done.

A little about the site. It is for a local Habitat for Humanity. Habitat for Humanity builds affordable homes for working families. They wanted the site to be "warm" and showcase families that have benefited from the program. They also wanted to be able to update the website easily and frequently without having any web knowledge (I choose to use Wordpress as a CMS to help with this). We also wanted to simplify navigation as their old site was incredibly chaotic. Creating three separate "areas" of the site for 'who, what and how' allowed us to do this.

Anyway, any comments/criticisms are very appreciated. Enjoy!

Member #
    Nicely done dude,

Wordpress has been my CMS of choice, this is one of the better themes I've seen around. Guessing you built it yourself? Lovin' the navigation and buttons on the side, nice touch, and the text is incredibly easy to read. Only criticism (since you asked!) and it's much of a muchness given my monitor's colour settings, is the bright orange of the wood panels in your background pic, a little too warm. But still, great job.

O

Member #
    Thanks Oloorin!

Yea, it's a completely custom theme. The color of the wood texture in the background is not what I originally had. I, like you, feel it is too warm. Originally, it was much lighter... BUT, sometimes you have to budge and do what the clients want (especially if it's minor stuff like that that makes them happy).

Thanks again man!

Member #
    Hi Stairatthesun,

I have to admit, you shattered several of my long held assumptions about compelling web design. You did things that I would not do. BUT IT WORKS VERY NICELY!!!! I could "feel" the tug of the site wanting me to learn about Habitat for Humanity more.

It's good to have one's assumptions shattered from time to time. :-)

I do have a suggestion about the contact form. Probably, the contact page is the most important page on the website from a business standpoint. Whether its to use the form itself or to get the telephone number, it's the page that funnels customers to you.

Well, if I told you that the form as designed will trick some otherwise well intentioned contactee's, that should get your attention!

Here's what will trick a percentage of people: the form itself has checks on the validity of fields. For example, it checks that the email address is in the form of an email address and not a web address. When the user clicks the send button, if they have made an error that is picked up by the validation routines, the user message ("Validation errors occurred. Please confirm the fields and submit it again." appears BELOW the form and in a color and size that blends well with the rest of the page.

In other words, there is a chance that anyone making a typo causing the validation routine to fire off MIGHT THINK they had sent the email. When they did not.

The fix is easy. Put the validation message above the form, and make its text shout for attention. Bigger, bolder, and perhaps boxed into something that demands attention by the user.

Hope this helps,

Rick
    Rick Dieffenbach
    www.ProfessionalWebsiteReview.com
    Tutorials for reviewing your website

www.allureiw.com
    Web Design and Development

Member #
    nice job man

Member #
    great website...way ahead before many of the designs reviewed here...keep up the good job.

Member #
    nice site dude, great use of flash in the intro/splash nice background and images. well done

Member #
    I do agree also that the wood tone is a little warmer than it perhaps should be, but I still like it. I've worked with wood tones in sites too.
    The load time is a little bit on the slow side, especially sideshow, but it's not to the point where I think people will be discouraged from visiting the site.
    Also I would include a "home" option on your top navigation system. It's a lot more intuitive than having them click on the logo. In fact some people might not even think to click on the logo, and have no idea how to get back to the index page.
    Overall it's a pretty nice site, even if it is unfinished.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I really like the slideshow. I don't really get your navigation. There's one on the side that scrolls with the site (like those icons, BTW) one at the top and another sidebar type navigation. It seems like it could be consolidated a bit. I don't see why you need a page for search if you are just telling people to use the search bar in the top right and generally "site map" is something you'd see in the footer.

Member #
    site looks good, kinda has alot going on, but i think its not hard to navigate and look around!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads