Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    2.5 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I would appreciate if everyone would take a look at www.FlawlessWebDesign.com and give me your hardest judgment on the Website.

Such categories to review as follows:

Design:
    Ease of Flow:
    Content:
    Appeal:
    Backend Coding:
    Anything Else:

I appreciate everyone that is willing to take the time and do this for me, for I will return the favor at any time to review a site of yours. Thanks again

jj1
    Member #
    Just had a quick look at your site. It's neat, not bad but in a competitive market I personally think you need to do better. Some criticisms are given below (note I'm giving the points I think could be improved rather than commenting on all the good things, hence it might seem a bit critical):

1 The home page image of a plug plugging into the world seems more appropriate for a hardware company than a web designer. As a customer, I would want to see examples of your web design. (If I look at a jewellery site, I want to see egs of rings and things the person is selling not an abstract concept).

2 The images in the right hand column are not aligned properly - either vertically or horizontally.

3 You don't have a portfolio page - or at least not one that's obvious from the main menu structure.

4 I would say don't expect the customer to read your 5 page tutorial before they phone you - use your website to sell your services and skills and then give them the tutorial once they've agreed to use you (that's what I do, anyway). Probably just state that you can give advice for writing content and seo.

5 On your web design pacakges page, you state that the consultation can last 20min for this package and 30min for that package. Personally, I often spend 1-2 hours at the initial meeting and I don't put a limit on this as I want the customer to walk away confident; also I learn a lot of useful info for the site at this meeting.

6 My general impression is that you are giving the customer too much info they don't need to make a decision (eg the Getting Started page is true and correct but it won't influence the customer to choose you not your competitor) and not enough info about how wonderful your designs are, how good your track record with seo is etc etc.

7 For seo purposes, consider putting a title tag with "web design arizona" rather than "web design company" - as a newish pr0 website, you don't stand a chance of ranking for web design whereas you might, with links, rank for web design arizona. For my own website, I target my home town and my county and, must admit, I do not bother about the national scene.

Hope some of this helps.

Member #
    Thanks.. I definitely appreciate all your views... I never thought of that aspect .. I do have a profile page and I feel stupid for not making it accessible right off the main page.

And for comments I didn't want people to post what was good.. I wanted comments exactly the way you responded.. and I appreciate your time. Let me know if you ever need anything. Ill post when I make the revamps.

Member #
    I made a fair amount of changes to the layout upon what you recommended JJ1.

jj1
    Member #
    Adding a Portfolio page is great. My own personal views:

1/ Don't make the images grey - and then colour when you hover. Personally, I would make the page colourful and then add border or something when hovered.

2/ Leaving the foreign language/gobbledook words on the design tells me immediately this is not a real design for a real customer. When I first started out, I created dummy designs for "a Suffolk clairvoyant" or "Norfolk financial company" and then made the enlarged size just small enough so that you couldn't read the actual words! I also did a charity website for free and a website for a friend at massively reduced cost; some people advertise on forums and say first x customers get a free website (limit work involved on this!). Others probably create 2-3 small dummy websites (eg 2-4 pages) - cost 5-10 domain name and host them all free on your account; once customers come along, you can delete these.

By the way, some of your designs are really nice!

PS On the home page, why don't you replace the left hand image of world and people with a small rotating set of your best designs? (I use JQuery Cycle Plugin for rotating images) The images in the right hand column are still not aligned vertically with the text - some are level with text, some are above text.

Member #
    Hi FlawlessWD,

Concur with jj1 on the portfolio page. For smart web designer buyers, this is the most important page on the site. It needs to zing visually.

Also, I had noticed that they were fake designs before reading jj1. It's best not to advertise that you don't have experience like that. The smart web buyer will check these out, and if they sense they are being tricked, its Asta La Vista Baby.

But the bigger comment I have is centered on the home page. Now, this comment may be on target on may be off target, depending on who your intended audience is.

Your home page is very "busy" and visually not very attractive. I'm not trying to be cold. But if this is the kind of customer you want to attract, then it's spot on.

But if you want to attract customers who are visual, then you need to turn down the busyness and turn up the attractiveness.

Again, I am not trying to be overly harsh.

You could, for example, save the details of your bullet points and link them to another page. Do this and your home page will be much easier to eye scan. (e.g., remove 'Make modifications to your Website a breeze with my maintenance package. Most requests completed within 2 business days' and link "web maintenance plans")

Hope this helps,

Rick
    www.allureiw.com
    www.tribute2abeautifulperson.com
    Rick Dieffenbach
    www.ProfessionalWebsiteReview.com
    Tutorials for reviewing your website

www.allureiw.com
    Web Design and Development

Member #
    Thanks again rickidoo, and jj1 for taking the time to review my website.

I did take the liberty to create some basic website content out of the designs I had up. There will be more to come.

I was also annoyed by the stock templates but it was just one of those things that until someone else mentioned I didn't feel like correcting.. lol

I did adjust the icons some ... they appear aligned correctly on both ie8 and ff and opera for me ... I even used the ruler to align the edges in PS.

And I will be cleaning up the wording on the homepage so less is more in the next few days.

Thanks again for all the help.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Hi - Just a question about how you are actually creating the your sites.

You are offering packages that include custom pages, yet all your portfolio sites seem to be templates.

Will you be using the templates as a basis for the custom pages? (I am always a bit conflicted about when a template becomes custom work - is it just changing the images and text or much larger modifications?)

There's nothing wrong with using templates - I just think if the work is template-based I should tell the client upfront. I've had clients come to me who have a very limited budget and who are happy to have a template-based site, as I charge far less than for a completely hand-coded site. I've even had one client come to me with a list of templates they liked and ask me if I can use one of them!

However, if I am wrong about the templates, and you are hand-coding everything from scratch, I think you are underpricing yourself.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    AlphaMare .. thanks for the curiosity and the time you took to review my site.

I do custom work based upon templates. Meaning ...

Most people have no idea what they want a website to look like. They might have 50 pages of content but have no idea what the menus or color scheme will look like. And even if they do have somewhat of an idea.. most the time it doesn't correlate correctly into a big picture.

So I have templates just for alignment .. but put in custom graphics and any other code they need (forms, calendars, etc) ... the only thing I use a template for is the background layout.

I've use PS since PS3 and DW since DW7 .. I can literally change anything within minutes. Honestly if I'm provided the content I can finish out a completed professional 10 page website within 3 hours. But I'm not going to stress myself with it, plus I do lots of other stuff like school, full time job and girl friend. =D

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Thanks for taking the time to reply so quickly!

I have run into the same problem with clients who don't know what they want or who want something completely inappropriate - like the tack shop who wanted a site with landing page done 100% in flash, and then an online store with literally hundreds of large images - trying to sell to horsepeople who usually live very rurally and of whom many still rely on dial-up and very old computers, with low-resolution monitors.

I use a questionnaire that I get them to fill out, and one of the most important questions is for them to list three to five websites that they like, and why. This is a valuable guide, and gives a starting point for the design discussion.

If they do not have any sites they care for, I do a search for sites relating to the same business, and get them to look at those, and we discuss them.

I think I like your idea a lot - I'm going to make a set of templates they can look at - basic layouts in different colours, to use as a starting point for the "undecideds".

Thanks for the inspiration,

Cheers,
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads